locking the doors

bclark

Feb 15, 2008
greenhithe kent
feeling so tired recently, alan keeps wanting to go out, have locked the front doors i take him out everyday but it starts in the afernoon and goes on until about 8oclock he keeps saying he is going, he is the same at my sons and daughters we have lost him once, i keep the door locked, have looked into tracking devices have not decided on one yet, anyone else coping with this at the moment, kind regards bclark:)

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
else coping with this at the moment, :)

Oh yes. This is sundowning, and in my husband`s case has been going on for ever.

During the cold winter months it stopped and I hoped that was the end of it, but now it has started again.

I daren`t lock him in, I couldn`t be responsible for his reactions if I did. So I let him go. He has ID on him, and I just have to hope for the best.

gill@anchorage5

Apr 29, 2007
Southampton
Wanting to "Go Home"

Hi

I'd welcome any suggestions with dealing with this (rest assured you are not alone!) CPN has advised this is classic "sundowning" behaviour. Dad usually starts about 4.30pm - the usual cue is to look at his watch & say "is that the time? I've got to be getting home - my "folks" will be wondering where I am. This takes place almost daily & is in his home environment, with Mum & me.

Best advice we have had so far is to try to distract him - but this rarely works. Sometimes he will get over it quite quickly, but other times we have it for about 3 very long hours, when he just wants to go and gets more & more frustrated.....it must be awful for him and it's awful for us too.

Sometimes little "white lies" can help, e.g "I've phoned them & they know you're here with us". just have to hope he doesn't delve too deeply and ask who I've phoned, as none of us know who these "folks" are!

Wishing you all the best.

Gill x

alfjess

Jul 10, 2006
south lanarkshire
Hi

I have read, and it did work for Dad, that when he wants to go home, go out, etc. Go with him and go for a walk around the village, block -- wherever.

When we walked him back, made a cup of tea and a biscuit, he was alright.

love
Alfjess

bclark

Feb 15, 2008
greenhithe kent
thank you all for your replies to my husbands sundowning, i have now sorted out a break for me only one night staying over a friends,(small steps at the moment) hoping i can build on that, i have been offered respite for a week in a near by care home, need to pluck up courage for that one :)bclark

Chrissyan

Aug 9, 2007
N E England
bclark: Enjoy your break & do go for the respite too, you need to look after yourself :)

gill@anchorage5: "Folks" is undoubtedly his parents, that seems to be the most common scenario.:rolleyes:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Caroline124