Lock Down at Care Home

Baker17

Mar 9, 2016
I decided to submit a question to the Coronavirus daily update about what plans are being considered to allow us to visit our loved ones. Much to my surprise someone asked the question. The answer was really a non answer saying that Matt Hancock was talking about it to the relevant people. What made me frustrated was there was more focus on the performing arts and theatre reopening.

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
I noticed that too. I've submitted several questions about the care home situation but had no luck so far! The media get told in advance which minister is delivering the briefing and tend to tailor their questions accordingly, and as Oliver Dowden is the minister for culture, media & sport I guess that's why they focused on those topics. With regards to visits, it seems from posts here that individual care homes are making their own decisions based on a mix of government advice and their own risk assessments, and I was surprised to hear that mum's care home have now started to allow visitors inside the home, for short periods only, maintaining social distancing and wearing full PPE.

Baker17

Mar 9, 2016
I noticed that too. I've submitted several questions about the care home situation but had no luck so far! The media get told in advance which minister is delivering the briefing and tend to tailor their questions accordingly, and as Oliver Dowden is the minister for culture, media & sport I guess that's why they focused on those topics. With regards to visits, it seems from posts here that individual care homes are making their own decisions based on a mix of government advice and their own risk assessments, and I was surprised to hear that mum's care home have now started to allow visitors inside the home, for short periods only, maintaining social distancing and wearing full PPE.
There’s just been an item about visiting on BBC 1 news, I was out of the room when most of it was on, only caught them showing a home which had a gazebo in the garden and a daughter was visiting her mother at a social distance which was lovely, but, the resident didn’t have Alzheimer’s/Dementia as she said when will this all end and understood the social distancing. The presenter did say there are only very few homes offering this. A care provider did talk about the mental health issues for both the cared for and the families and there needs to be balance achieved.

Wifenotcarer

Mar 11, 2018
Central Scotland
OH now back in his care home. They say he is very tired but cheery and glad to be back. He has not had a stroke, all tests are clear, including one for Covid. Report will be sent to GP who will decide if any change to medication, etc. is required. I'm relieved but feeling exhausted. Still no visits but will request a Zoom call tomorrow.

Wifenotcarer

Mar 11, 2018
Central Scotland
Rang the Home yesterday morning for an update. OH had slept well and eaten breakfast with some help. Mobility still a bit restricted. Awaiting contact from GP when he has seen test results. Off the record everyone (including me) thinks it has been a TIA. 2 hours later the phone ring and It is the Care Home. My heart stopped and I had to steel myself to answer. Was only their regular call round to tell me that this weeks regular Covid test results for all staff & residents were back and OH tested negative.

Since that call I have been on tenterhooks waiting for the phone to ring, fearing the worst, realising that this might be a regular occurrence from now on. It is a comfort that OH is only 5 minutes away but also makes me afraid to go out or away from or use the phone, in case I miss a call. How do you come to terms with this? I cannot go on much longer in this state of high anxiety, stomach churning like a cement mixer. Will this be the new normal?

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
There will be quite a lot of tests and messages to begin with, but it does calm down, so you will be able to relax more and not be on tenterhooks all the time.

I always found, though, that there was a momentary jolt when I saw a call from the care home.

Baker17

Mar 9, 2016
I have just watched the prime ministers statement about relaxing the lockdown. I am so sad that there was no mention at all of all of us that haven’t seen our loved ones for nearly four months.
I really do feel as though this sector of society has been totally forgotten about or ignored during this important step in reopening our society.
In my local area someone from our memory matters clinic is at a meeting with the CQC so hopefully the issue of restarting visits will be raised.
In my particular case there has been a sharp decline in my OH’s physiological health manifesting it’s self as aggressive behaviour towards the staff in the home. In the years since they were diagnosed there has never been any sign of this. Staff at the home have said there has been a marked change in all the residents since lockdown.
I not heard anything from the hierarchy in the Alzheimer’s Society supporting or questioning what can be done to alleviate this ongoing situation which is impacting not only on the sufferers but the Carers as well. I would be interested to here what their stance is on this situation.

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
It seems to be a case of individual care homes or local authorities making visiting decisions based on government guidance and their own risk assessments. Have you asked the care home manager what their plans are for allowing visits, particularly in view of your OH's agressive behaviour? My mum's nursing home has been allowing visits in the garden for about 3 weeks now, and visits inside for the last week. Visitors need to maintain social distancing and wear PPE and the manager has advised that should the number of cases in the local community or amongst staff/residents rise then visits may be stopped again. At the moment visits are restricted to just once a week for an hour, with one visitor at a time, with the manager saying that they realise the impact of lockdown on residents and families so are doing their best to balance safety & wellbeing. Hopefully after the CQC meeting there might be a change of policy in your care home area and you will be able to visit your OH again as I can imagine how you must be feeling the longer the visiting ban continues.

Baker17

Mar 9, 2016
It seems to be a case of individual care homes or local authorities making visiting decisions based on government guidance and their own risk assessments. Have you asked the care home manager what their plans are for allowing visits, particularly in view of your OH's agressive behaviour? My mum's nursing home has been allowing visits in the garden for about 3 weeks now, and visits inside for the last week. Visitors need to maintain social distancing and wear PPE and the manager has advised that should the number of cases in the local community or amongst staff/residents rise then visits may be stopped again. At the moment visits are restricted to just once a week for an hour, with one visitor at a time, with the manager saying that they realise the impact of lockdown on residents and families so are doing their best to balance safety & wellbeing. Hopefully after the CQC meeting there might be a change of policy in your care home area and you will be able to visit your OH again as I can imagine how you must be feeling the longer the visiting ban continues.
Oh yes I have. It’s a council run home and I had to go above the manager as she goes out of her way to avoid me (but that’s another story). The local authorities stance is no visiting except through a window which lasts about thirty seconds as my husband can’t understand why I’m outside and can’t come in.
Communication has been poor and I’ve had to chase up the issues that have arisen with my husband to try and get him some help.

Louie16

Mar 31, 2020
Oh yes I have. It’s a council run home and I had to go above the manager as she goes out of her way to avoid me (but that’s another story). The local authorities stance is no visiting except through a window which lasts about thirty seconds as my husband can’t understand why I’m outside and can’t come in.
Communication has been poor and I’ve had to chase up the issues that have arisen with my husband to try and get him some help.
Last time I spoke to CH manager re my mum she'd changed her mind about visits, whereas 3 weeks ago she'd told me they were planning how to restart. I've had Tel discussions, emails explaining how mum presenting mentally since lockdown, but all she keeps saying is she's fine. She spends the day in her room or sitting in little area on her first floor, despite my continued asking for her to come down to lounge and be taken to sit outside. Again today she's sat really depressed with her head in her hands on what's app call so I just arranged to call tomorrow instead. The last time go did review the put her on lowdose risperidone month ago as behaviour had deteriorated, but this is due to the lockdown. Just seems really cruel, I'd like to think I could bring her home to look after. What to do ?

Baker17

Mar 9, 2016
Just heard on the news that in Scotland care home visits are being restarted, in the garden and if they have been clear of covid for so many weeks (sorry missed how many) and visitors have to wear a Perspex face shield. Here’s hoping England will follow very soon ?

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury

Jale

Jul 9, 2018
I certainly wouldn't want to be in charge of this problem. Mum has tested positive twice for covid, first time with symptoms, the second time no symptoms, she won;t be retested unless she shows symptoms, but what would happen to us if we were allowed to see mum (social distance measures in place) would we then have to self isolate for 14 days? It is a minefield and there is no easy answer

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Just heard on the news that in Scotland care home visits are being restarted, in the garden and if they have been clear of covid for so many weeks (sorry missed how many) and visitors have to wear a Perspex face shield. Here’s hoping England will follow very soon ?
I thought this was already possible in England. Several people have posted on here that they have been able to meet up with their relative in the garden, socially distanced and with wearing PPE.
It seems to be up to the care home, though.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
It seems to be up to the care home, though

It is, nearly all of the covid related guidance is just that, there is very little in statute.
It's up to the people involved to carry out an informed risk assessment.

whatproblem

Jan 9, 2018
Mum's care home (England) restarted visits about a week ago. Outdoors only (in a tent), with face shields and gloves and a forehead temperature check. The PPE is not very comfortable in this weather! Limited to once a week because of the extra demands on staff.

It's good to see Mum and show that we care, but it's also very difficult to have a conversation with a person whose attention wanders at the best of times. Because of the face shields she sometimes forgets who she's talking to, and body language doesn't work very well at 2 metres distance. I'll be glad when I can walk and talk with her in the garden again, but one of the carers told me that it could be a long time before that's possible.

Bikerbeth

Feb 11, 2019
Bedford
I have just been advised that I will be able to visit Mum for 30 mins on the other side of her window (that has limited opening) with a carer present at all times. Mask to be worn And temperature taken beforehand. One household only so fortunately for me brother is too far away to visit currently

Baker17

Mar 9, 2016
I have just been advised that I will be able to visit Mum for 30 mins on the other side of her window (that has limited opening) with a carer present at all times. Mask to be worn And temperature taken beforehand. One household only so fortunately for me brother is too far away to visit currently
I have been to see my husband through the window but unfortunately it doesn’t really work in my case so I’m really desperate for visiting to recommence.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JanetR