1. Expert Q&A: Protecting a person with dementia from financial abuse - Weds 26 June, 3:30-4:30 pm

Financial abuse can have serious consequences for a person with dementia. Find out how to protect a person with dementia from financial abuse.

Sam, our Knowledge Officer (Legal and Welfare Rights) is our expert on this topic. She will be here to answer your questions on Wednesday 26 June between 3:30 - 4:30 pm.

You can either post questions >here< or email them to us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and we'll answer as many as we can on the day.

Local Government Ombudsman finds in our Favour but has now legal power to enforce itl

Discussion in 'Legal and financial issues' started by Phil8147, Aug 10, 2015.

1. Phil8147

Phil8147 Registered User

Jan 19, 2015
    Lichfield
    The care home has failed to apply the recommendation from the complaint I placed with the Local government Obudsman which reads:

"The care provider failed to provide appropriate care in terms of Mr X’s nutrition and hydration for the whole period that Mr X was in the home. It should reimburse the whole of the care costs for that period (£3925). The failure of proper nutrition and hydration was so fundamental that it underpinned the rest of Mr X’s care."

As they have no legal powers what can I do?

2. min88cat

min88cat Registered User

Apr 6, 2010
    Hi there,

Maybe the CAB could advise you, other than that, it's below the amount for the small claims court, so that may be the way forward.

Hopefully someone a bit more knowledgeable will be along soon.

3. Soobee

Soobee Registered User

Aug 22, 2009
    South
    Have you looked at the ombudsman's website for this kind of thing? It must be quite common. Well done for taking it the LGO and winning, I've done the same but for other reasons.

Small Claims Court is quite straightforward really, my mother did it years ago and my sister did it a few years back. Mum ended up getting the Sheriffs to go and get some money they owed my dad.

CAB seems the best bet to me but other agencies may possibly be able to advise you - Carers UK, Age UK, Alz Society national helpline?