• All threads and posts regarding Coronavirus COVID-19 can be found in our area specifically for Coronavirus COVID-19 discussion.

    You can directly access this area >here<.

Local Government Ombudsman finds in our Favour but has now legal power to enforce itl


Registered User
Jan 19, 2015
The care home has failed to apply the recommendation from the complaint I placed with the Local government Obudsman which reads:

"The care provider failed to provide appropriate care in terms of Mr X’s nutrition and hydration for the whole period that Mr X was in the home. It should reimburse the whole of the care costs for that period (£3925). The failure of proper nutrition and hydration was so fundamental that it underpinned the rest of Mr X’s care."

As they have no legal powers what can I do?


Registered User
Apr 6, 2010
Hi there,

Maybe the CAB could advise you, other than that, it's below the amount for the small claims court, so that may be the way forward.

Hopefully someone a bit more knowledgeable will be along soon.


Registered User
Aug 22, 2009
Have you looked at the ombudsman's website for this kind of thing? It must be quite common. Well done for taking it the LGO and winning, I've done the same but for other reasons.

Small Claims Court is quite straightforward really, my mother did it years ago and my sister did it a few years back. Mum ended up getting the Sheriffs to go and get some money they owed my dad.

CAB seems the best bet to me but other agencies may possibly be able to advise you - Carers UK, Age UK, Alz Society national helpline?