1. Our next Q&A session is on the topic of Christmas and dementia.This time we want our Q&A to involve our resident experts, you! Share tips and advice on navigating Christmas here in this thread.

Pop by and post your questions or if you prefer you can email your question to us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and we'll be happy to ask them on your behalf.
  1. llawllim

llawllim Registered User

Nov 4, 2015
    Hello all, I have been kind of unwell for a long time. My letter say s I have plenty of Gegenhalten, this is related to dementia. I don't know if Gegenhalten means a person has dementia which would explain things out , or if it is that people with dementia have Gegenhalten.I hope that makes sense Any advice please. I have a wait to see doctor.

2. Grannie G

Grannie G Volunteer Moderator

Apr 3, 2006
    Kent
    Hello llawllim

I haven't heard of Gegenhalten and am not much wiser after a Google search. I would need to talk to a doctor to gain any understanding of it.

I just want to welcome you to Talking Point and hope someone on the forum can relate to your difficulties

3. llawllim

llawllim Registered User

Nov 4, 2015
    Hi grannie G I wanted to say thanks for your reply but not sure hire to reply to your message

4. cragmaid

cragmaid Registered User

Oct 18, 2010
    North East England
    Hello and welcome to TP.
    I had to google the word Gegehalten, I came up with this definition
    What I think this means is, for example if we've asked a sufferer to " lift your foot" to put on a slipper, the foot is unable to be lifted and is firmly rooted to the ground, simply stuck there.
    This can be a sympton of dementia, but I suspect you will have to wait for the clinic for more information.
    Good Luck.

5. jaymor

jaymor Volunteer Moderator

Jul 14, 2006
    Female
    England
    Teepa Snow spoke about this in a video. She used an example of someone getting out of a chair. As much as they want to rise up they are actually pressing down and are therefor unable to rise.

6. Izzy

Izzy Volunteer Moderator

Aug 31, 2003
    Female
    Dundee
    That sounds very like how Bill is when he won't get out of the car.

7. jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
    Female
    England

I am sure it was one of her Utube videos.

8. canary

canary Registered User

Feb 25, 2014
    Female
    South coast
    I think you mean this one
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRC3WLSQSq8

9. jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
    Female
    England
    That's the one, thank you. I have watched so many of her videos, infact probably all of them and they just merge into one. I retain the information which I suppose is what is important. Thanks again.

10. llawllim

llawllim Registered User

Nov 4, 2015
    Yes thank you all, its just nice to be able to mention it without worrying people.I will know more in December when I see doctor.you tube was interesting thanks