Living with a rather charming gold fish ;-) I want to start a diary.

Collicola

Aug 27, 2018
So three years ago my husband went to the memory doctor. All the tests done. 84/100 on the test and the scan showed slight brain shrinkage. Diagnosed as Mild Cognitive Impairment and given prescription for Aricept. Back earlier this month and the test was the same 84/100 so we were patted on the back and told we were doing all right. But it doesn't feel right. So I want to start a diary and would appreciate what small things I should keep a record of.

I was shaken the other night when he had a clear hallucination of a woman standing between me and a friend - in fairness alcohol was involved (I know - but you try and stop him!) and looked it up and it is clearly a symptom of something worse. Also his appetite is fastidious to say the least and he takes little or no pleasure in food or cooking - previously a big part of his life. He was a salesperson and can switch on the charm and acknowledge the memory issues when with the doctor so I'm not sure the doctor fully gets it. Any thoughts gratefully received. Thanks.

nellbelles

Volunteer Host
Nov 6, 2008
leicester
Hello @Collicola welcome to TP
You will find a lot of information and support here on the forum.
A lot of people use their posts on TP as a diary as it is easy to follow your own thread as things change
Now that you have found us I hope you will continue to post

margherita

May 30, 2017
Italy, Milan and Acqui Terme
So three years ago my husband went to the memory doctor. All the tests done. 84/100 on the test and the scan showed slight brain shrinkage. Diagnosed as Mild Cognitive Impairment and given prescription for Aricept. Back earlier this month and the test was the same 84/100 so we were patted on the back and told we were doing all right. But it doesn't feel right
We are always "patted on the back" , too , and told we are doing all right, but I know my husband's dementia is progressing. The only time I could exchange few words with OH's doctor, I told her that I thought the situation was not unchanged , as they said. She answered: " I know things in everyday life are different ".

Collicola

Aug 27, 2018
Thanks for replies. I will dig deeper on this site and the forums. I guess like all of us in this world I was looking for a magic wand :)

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Hi @Collicola and welcome from me too.

I'm glad you've decided to start a diary thread. I found that an excellent way of keeping track of things when my husband was alive. I often used my TP thread to review how things had been before we went for clinic appointments etc.

Looking forward to 'seeing' you around.

hilaryd

May 28, 2017
I think a diary is an excellent idea, either as a thread here or actually on paper. I certainly found the latter very useful when trying to keep track of all that had happened and mum's changing behaviour, as well as who we'd contacted and when, what responses/appointments we had etc.

Emjayar

Nov 25, 2016
Similar position here but we were told no medication is available for my husband's MCI. The consultant said medication is only available when his condition transitions to dementia. (I asked for a timescale and Dr said within 12 months). We were however asked if he would consider a drug trial. I was keen on this as it would have meant regular scans etc to monitor any deterioration. However, while we are still able, we do enjoy our foreign holidaying and on initial investigation I was unable to find a travel insurance company who accept people on a drug trial. So for the time being we have declined the trial and I've been told to monitor his deterioration myself and to see our GP when I feel his memory has worsened.....

TeddyBear77

Aug 29, 2018
We are always "patted on the back" , too , and told we are doing all right, but I know my husband's dementia is progressing. The only time I could exchange few words with OH's doctor, I told her that I thought the situation was not unchanged , as they said. She answered: " I know things in everyday life are different ".
We were patted on the back also results were the same 84/100 after a year check up. It felt very strange cold and heartless she said “ I’m signing you off” suggested we went back to GP and see if it’s vasular, as it’s not dementia. At least that was a relief. When she took us to leave the building she said “ you have very, very poor concentration” . Also at the assessment she suggested he right post it notes around the house, I’ve asked him to do this for years - doesn't look at them. He’s agreed to write in a book each day, the list has been made .... it’s not been successful in the past. We will see what happens this week.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee

TeddyBear77

Aug 29, 2018