Living in the moment

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
Just spent the whole weekend with my dad to try to assess him a bit more. Friday afternoon an old friend Albert who he has known from school turned up and they had a good long chat about things. Seems during the war there was an airfield close to their homes (now a golf course) so there was a lot of bombs dropped on this area.

It was lovely listening to them chatting and reminiscing about the fun they had. I know all about the people in their street, Dad can name them all and how they collected live shells and how my grandad used to remove the explosive bits so they could polish them up. I know all about the bomb hole they used to play in and Blackie the dog that belonged to everyone.

Dad was really eloquent and remembers it like yesterday, he had some right old stories to tell.

Fast forward to Saturday afternoon and asked him if he had seen Albert lately, his reply, "No, haven't seen him for a long time"

It is so sad. Still getting used to this.

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
That sums up the roller coaster of dementia in the early days, Duggies girl. Hold on to great days like your dad had on Friday.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hi Duggies-girl
I had 2 similar situations
one of dad's brothers visited him - the brother lives in Australia so they haven't seen each other regularly in their adult lives, but kept in touch - they chatted and went out for a pint together - dad all smiles - we wave the brother off - moments later dad asks 'who was that man' but was glowing with the good time he'd had
a boyhood friend of dad's has kept in touch and very kindly popped in to see him whenever he visited his family in this area (couple of times a year at most) - each time I told him the friend was visiting dad's eyes would light up - they always chatted, sadly each time dad had less input but was very clearly enjoying being with his friend - minutes after the latest visit dad had no recollection
dad really perked up with brother and friend, so for a short while he was happy and for that I am so very grateful to both men - dad hasn't retained memories of the visits but I have and treasure them
bitter sweet

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
"Fast forward to Saturday afternoon and asked him if he had seen Albert lately, his reply, "No, haven't seen him for a long time"

It is so sad. Still getting used to this."

Don't despair, although the memory has gone, the happy emotions may have been retained.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iOnxYbdrrE

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
Thank you all

This is all very hard and I think I will be using this forum a lot from now as it helps just to write things down. Very kind answers and yes Dad enjoyed the moment. He does enjoy the moment, last night we had a good old chat but I know he forgets straight away.

Dreading this getting worse and I hate this disease with a vengeance but we had a lovely weekend.

See what tomorrow brings now.