Living in our mother's house - two questions

twinklestar

Sep 14, 2014
My brother and I have always lived at home. Our father passed away 13 years ago so we cared for mum with help until she went into care nearly twelve months ago.

Following a meeting with the OPG Visitor we have been told that we will have to pay formal rent. Has anyone else been in this position?

If we decided to move and the house was empty who would pay the bills?

Any thoughts would be welcome.

Owly

Jun 6, 2011
I presume they want the rental income to pay for her care. The rules of how this works are laid out below. The house would be protected against this, if you or your brother were over 60, or 'dependant', so I presume you're not.

https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/site/scripts/documents_info.php?documentID=2710

The alternative to paying rent would be for you and your brother to move elsewhere, and then for Mum's house to be sold to pay for her care.

Edit: sorry I just noticed you wrote about the OPG, not social services so what I wrote may not apply.

I suppose the OPG are seeing you living in Mum's house as a financial benefit to yourselves and under some legal rule, they are wanting to make it fair to Mum.

Last edited:

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
The father may be self funding or, assuming he owns the house, LA funded with the house disregarded, whichever he is still due rental on the property.

You mention OPG visitor so it looks as if you have deputyship in which case if the house became empty you would have a duty to protect his finances by either selling or renting the property.