Living in another country/LPA

Aussiesheila

Jul 13, 2013
Just wondering if anyone has experience of this. My Mum made her LPA in the UK naming my brother and I as joint (not severally). Since making it she has moved to live with me in Australia and has her residency visa. Her pension etc is paid into Australian bank account though she keeps some investments in UK banks etc. Is her LPA valid out of the UK, does anyone know? I am finding it hard to find this information out so thought I would try this forum!
Txs

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
I'm afraid not. An LPA is valid only in its country of origin. I assume Australia has some kind of deputyship/guardian option. If you need to manage her money there, you may need to apply for that.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Each territory in Australia seems to have it's own set up for obtaining Enduring Power of Attorney.
Try contacting the relevant department department in the territory involved and explain the situation, there is a slim chance that the existing UK document could in some way be ratified by the Australian court, otherwise you will have to make a full application.