Living away from Mum

Chrissyan

Aug 9, 2007
N E England
I know exactly where you are coming from Beverley. My brother is just the same. He does nothing at all except call in for a quick 10 min visit to his Dad once a week,. No shopping, paperwork, appointments. cleaning up, etc etc. One job I thought he might do as a trained mechanic was to sort his fathers car once he had had his letter from DVLA. I asked him to get a fault fixed & then sell it. Well he didn't know any Honda mechanics, he didn't think January was a good time to sell a car, he didn't know....... My partner & I did it ourselves just like everything else.:mad: Makes you mad though doesn't it Beverley?:(

BeverleyY

Jan 29, 2008
Ashford, Kent
I know exactly where you are coming from Beverley. My brother is just the same. He does nothing at all except call in for a quick 10 min visit to his Dad once a week,. No shopping, paperwork, appointments. cleaning up, etc etc. One job I thought he might do as a trained mechanic was to sort his fathers car once he had had his letter from DVLA. I asked him to get a fault fixed & then sell it. Well he didn't know any Honda mechanics, he didn't think January was a good time to sell a car, he didn't know....... My partner & I did it ourselves just like everything else.:mad: Makes you mad though doesn't it Beverley?:(

Err. yep. Makes my blood boil.

See it all the time though, in my sister, and in other people.

They all have excuses, but they are not real reasons are they?

As I say, if you REALLY WANT TO you can change anything. Jobs, distance - all irrelevant and can all be changed IF someone REALLY wants to!

I can't because I live too far... I can't because I work full time... I can't because I have children...:rolleyes:

I've never been one for excuses - I think my sister being 8 years older than me must have used them all up before I was born!

Beverley x

Steve Ch

Feb 27, 2008
Leicester
Beverley, sorry to hear that you had had so many problems. Fortunately my brother who also lives a fare way away from mum, is playing his full part in looking after her. For that at least at the moment I have no worries.

Jan W. Mothers day was interesting. I spent most of the day visiting the neighbours to pay them back for the money for the taxis. The previous day mum had to be brought home by the police as again she had managed to take a taxis to a local village with no means of paying. Went out for a nice meal in the evening. However as soon as we finish the meal she is up and ready to go.
Spent Monday with mum also and went on the bus with her to town which was nice. Had another call from the police on Wednesday as she had managed to get a bus/taxis 40/50 miles away from home. Fortunately my brother was able to go and pick her up. As I am writing this, I have just had a call from her neighbour to say she is not back yet this evening. Could be a long night. Meeting arranged with SS for the 17th.

RegardsSteve

hendy

Feb 20, 2008
West Yorkshire
Hi Steve
Just caught up with your thread. I'm sorry that your mum seems to be struggling. What amazing neighbours she has! I remember well when I was trying to keep Dad independent in his Bungalow. He needed quite a lot of homecare support. Plus he had frozen meals delivered. I still worried about him he was so vulnerable. As your mother seems to be. She sounds like she's desparately hanging on to any semblance of independent life. Big Style! They don't always get it right. It sounds like you've had rather a lot high profile alerts(the driving incident!)I found that all the agencies involved in Dad's care tried everything to keep him in his own home. Until one day things became an emergency. We had to insist that he be taken into hospital for everybody's and his own safety.
Is it worth getting some sort of homecare package together? Would Mum accept the help?
keep us posted
take care
hendy

Jan W

Jun 1, 2006
oxfordshire
Steve CH

Hi Steve
How are things going with mum and the taxis. Could you not set up an account with a taxi company who understand your mum's problems and get mum to use this one taxi company. That way, if they get to know her they will know where to take her to rather than miles away.
My mum is coming to stay for Easter, and our neighbour has purchased her car sometime again when she gave up driving. She has forgotten the transaction so I am interested to see if she recognises what used to be her car in the neighbour's driveway.
Hope you are getting some help now from SS. How was the meeting?