Livid !!!!

jude1950

Mar 23, 2006
Lincolnshire
Sorry for shouting in the title. I visited my Husband yesterday in his care home and also visiting was his brother. T.P members will perhaps remember that this brother had not been close to Jim for many years but took it upon himself to give me a hard time when Jim had to go into care as I could no longer look after him. Things are quite civil between us now and we both have an understanding that Jim's well being is the most important thing. During the visit we were talking about Jim's situation and I said that I had asked for a meeting with his CPN and the care home manager and his social worker with myself to discuss jim's care plan ...it is 5 months since the last meeting and I have some concerns about Jim's care.
My brother in law then informed me that he had telephoned the CPN about Jim and that she had not only discussed jim's care plan but informed him of a change in Jim's medication that I know nothing about I have since checked and the medication was altered a month ago.
Does anyone have any advice on what I can do about this ...if anything... I am really angry that the CPN discussed Jim with someone else without consulting me and also changed his medication without informing me.
Judith

Last edited:

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
I'd be angry too, particularly at the breach of confidentiality. Unless you had told the CPN that she could discuss your husband with anyone other than you, they shouldn't have done. However, I'm not sure that you can place the blame for a medication change on the CPN - surely the doctor must have made the change? You should have been notified of course, though.

Come Monday I'd be on the phone asking the CPN (and quite possibly the CPN's boss) why they thought it was acceptable/appropriate to discuss this with someone other than you.

Doreen99

Jan 12, 2008
Sheffield
I'd be angry too, particularly at the breach of confidentiality. Unless you had told the CPN that she could discuss your husband with anyone other than you, they shouldn't have done. However, I'm not sure that you can place the blame for a medication change on the CPN - surely the doctor must have made the change? You should have been notified of course, though.

Come Monday I'd be on the phone asking the CPN (and quite possibly the CPN's boss) why they thought it was acceptable/appropriate to discuss this with someone other than you.

I quite agree with the above, I think you need to speak to the CPN as soon as possible and find out exactly why they thought it was appropriate to discuss your husband's care with anybody except you.

Taffy

Apr 15, 2007
Dear Jude,

You have a right to be livid, it seems like you have to be extremely lucky nowadays to be kept up to date on happenings. Just the other day a carer I know told me the care home her hubby is in was treating him now for diabetes. This lady visits regular and no one bothered to tell her she found out when they came along to measure his blood sugar levels.

I hope you get some satisfactory answers and in the future your informed straight away. Best of luck, Taffy.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
You are entitled to be livid Judith. How dare your husband`s condition be discussed with anyone, with out your permission.

Failure to notify you about the change in medication does not surprise me in the least. I get the feeling that some homes seem to feel the next of kin abandons all responsibility once the cared for is in residential care.

You need to dot the i`s and cross the t`s and tell them exactly what information you wnt from them. Make sure they write this in Jim`s notes so you have some comeback.

jude1950

Mar 23, 2006
Lincolnshire
Thanks everyone for your replies. I am still angry but a little calmer this Morning. I have decided against telephoning the CPN this morning but will wait and see how soon I can get a meeting with the relevent people that are providing Jim's care I think I will be able to make my feelings known then with better impact there will also be witness to what is said and the meeting will be minuted . Thanks again for your support.
Judith

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Hi Judith

I'd be livid too in your shoes. But I agree with Sylvia, the care home should have informed you of any change of medication.

I hope you can get a meeting arranged as soon as possible, but in the meantime I'd be having a word with the CPN about patient confidentiality.

I'd also ask to see the person in the care home who is primarily responsible for your husband, to discuss his care plan. As Sylvia says, get it written in that you want to be informed about any change in your husband's condition and medication. This is your right.

Some relatives don't want to know the details, but this should have been discussed when the original care plan was drawn up. You can do this on your next visit, without arranging a formal meeting.

I'm glad you're feeling better this morning, and I agree that blowing up is not always the best answer, but there are two mistakes here that need to be corrected.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Celiagibson