'Live ' Music

Geraldine

Oct 17, 2003
Nottingham
If anyone visits a Nursing home reguarly and plays an instrument or has children and grand children that play can I urge you to take them along and play for the residents. My son Chris often takes his clarinet in to play to Mum and is is greatly enjoyed by everyone. He is no prodigy, just apporaching grade 2 but he can play quite nicely, some of the songs are sing s long types and many of the residents join in. It is great fun.

regards

Geraldine

Jude

Dec 11, 2003
Tully, Qld, Australia
Dear Geraldine,

When my parents were living in close care, there were often musical afternoons at the adjacent Nursing Home. I used to drag my parents along since they are pretty resistent to enforced entertainment, [enforced by me, that is] but I figured it would be good for them to get out of the apartment.

I used to serve tea and cakes to the elderly residents and thoroughly enjoyed the music along with the residents. Even my parents enjoyed it, even though my father quite often pretended otherwise.

It's a great idea.

Jude

gemini

Sep 8, 2003
Nottingham
Hi Geraldine

I think this is a really good idea, which I do hope will be taken up very seriously.

However, I have just had to smile at the thought of my 14 year old learning to play electric guitar.. I wonder how many oldies will know the words to ACDC's 'Whole lotta Rosie or Whitesnake's 'Since you've been gone' !!! (which... I have to say were absolutely fantastic when they played at the Royal Concert Hall on Oct 12.... - It was our youngest son's first ever concert..... he was a star.... bought the t shirt... - which he didn't think could be washed in case it washed off the design)

Sincerely hope that Geraldines post this will encourage folks to approach local homes etc as i really do feel that it is a seriously good idea.

Love
Gemini

Last edited:

Jude

Dec 11, 2003
Tully, Qld, Australia
Dear Gemini,

AC/DC are you SERIOUS..??? Pass me the ear plugs somebody! I would like to consign those guys to a very deep pit, along with The Clash and the Sex Pistols.

'It's A Long Way to the Shop if you want a Sausage Roll'.......

Jude

gemini

Sep 8, 2003
Nottingham
well as alway's one mans meat is another mans poison...

Jude... Have you ever been to an ACDC concert???

I have..... one of the best concerts I've ever been to!!! Couldn't hear a thing for day's afterwards but my mum reliably informs me that she had a similar experience when she saw Tom Jones!!!!! (all the screaming sent her a bit deaf.... but she tells promises me that she left with her knickers where they were supposed to be)

I also like Burt Bacharach and the bay city rollers..... as well as the Clash and sex pistols in my younger days!!!! so what doe's that tell you about my musical tastes!!!!

And you have never lived until you have seen David Coverdale in leather trousers.....!!

Love
Gemini

ps: only joking about the Bay City Rollers!!!!

Last edited:

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
Since Jan has been at her home, several different groups of children have come in to see her.

Firstly, my brother's two daughters [they were around 6 at the time]. Then Nina's grandchildren [aged 3 and 6].

I don't think Jan was able to get much out of their visits - but then how could one tell? Isn't it worth taking the opportunity?

None of the children was concerned at being at a care home for dementia sufferers. They simply take it quite naturally. They are a sort of kin anyway.

None of the residents was other than happy to see children around the place.

Nina's grandson was very taken by all the old ladies in the home and tried to get them all to sit down together [they wouldn't of course].

Now, regularly, he asks "are we going to see the old ladies again?"

Jude

Dec 11, 2003
Tully, Qld, Australia
Dear Gemini,

Yes, I did go to an AC/DC concert once in Sydney. It was unforgettable...... in fact, I haven't ever recovered and I am still deaf.

I also vaguely recall the Bay City Rollers as a lot of little blokes in tartan, but I may be wrong there...... I was more into Pink Floyd, Dire Straits and Bob Marley, which probably shows just how old I am. I seem to be stuck in the 1970's somehow.

I will try to improve.

Jude

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
Going back to Geraldine's first post, I think that anything 'live' is good for residents of care homes, whether that be a musician, a choir, an 'act', children or pets.

All these provide variety and a distraction, both for residents - and for staff.

I'm not so sure about constant playing of music from CDs or tapes, or having the TV on. Though for some residents that may be good, I always think of Jan, unable to communicate, and having to endure some of the excruciating stuff that gets played at her home, without being able to tell them to shut it off.

Maybe she doesn't notice as much as I do, but I do notice that there is never anything of a classical [or even 'classy'] nature played, and Jan was a classically trained musician. There seems to be an assumption that residents can't appreciate adult music.

TED

Sep 14, 2004
Middlesex
AC DC

Gemini...
got into this thread a little late
but just adding support for more AC DC impromptu gigs in old people's homes and the like. think it would liven them all up and it's much for fun than Cliff Richard etc...

Caught them and Def Lep last year, still the best, still making me go deaf .... nice.
TED

gemini

Sep 8, 2003
Nottingham
Thanks Ted for your support for the AC/DC contingent....

I'm entrigued to know where you saw them last year though??? We have been dying to take our youngest - now 14 - but didn't see it advertised anywhere!!! Having said that, last year was a bit of a blur..... what with one thing and another

Saw Deff Leopard at sheffield years ago....

Party on Ted

Love
Gemini

TED

Sep 14, 2004
Middlesex
hiya
the benefit of living in London, last October, within the space of about 10 days I managed to see Def Leppard, AC DC, MotorHead and (wait for it) Kevin Rowland and Dexys Midnight Runners - which was absolute class.

took friends who had never been to a proper 'loud' concert before, blew them away, great times, first band I ever saw live was ACDC at Wembley, my ears have never recovered.

TED

barraf

Mar 27, 2004
Huddersfield
Live Music

Help

What is all this about Hearing Challenged Animals, Electrical Currents, Bionic People and Naked Nocturnal Athletes?

I was under the impression we were talking about music. I must be older than I thought.

Cheers Barraf

Jude

Dec 11, 2003
Tully, Qld, Australia
Dear Barraf,

Don't panic! It seems that musicians [a very loose term here] spend more time thinking up names for their 'groups' than they actually do in writing 'songs', sorry folks, I mean 'riffs'.

Australian groups are particularly good at this. Hence, A Flock of Budgies; Man Overboard; Not Drowning, Waving; and the ultimate 'Who's On First?'.

If you're into books, then do read Terry Pratchett's 'Soul Music' to get the basic idea. It's pretty funny stuff.

Jude