Live in Respite

Buteo

Mar 20, 2019
Desperate for respite I used an agency to engage a live in carer to care for my wife who has severe dementia. The local authority supported me by making available their weekly fee for residential care. This covered about a third of the cost. I really enjoyed my break, but it was hard for my wife and the carer. My wife refused to go to bed, she refused to get changed or to bathe and forgot how to go to the loo properly. All this time the carer kept my wife company, cooked her nice meals and helped as much as my wife would allow her to. When I got home they were both exhausted, my wife was bent over and tottering, talking to imaginary people.
When I got home she immediately allowed me to bathe her and get her into bed. After a couple of good long night's sleep she was back to whatever passes for normal in our house. For a few days she was super compliant before becoming a bit more combative. Less than a week later it was as if the two weeks from hell had never happened.
Surprisingly the carer said she liked my wife and would do it again. I guess that's what you get from a professional.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CaronL