Live in carer for respite

LunaJ

Mar 24, 2021
My Mother lives alone, and on the whole manages fairly well with daily visits from me, and also due to me being 'on call' for her 24/7 for any unexpected events.
I was due to go away with my own family soon, and my Mother was booked into a care home for respite care, which she wasn't happy about, but had reluctantly agreed to. However, I've now realised that she'd have to spend the entire 14 days in self isolation, and think this is too much to ask of her.
She doesn't need care all day yet, she still does her own personal care and feeds herself but does need checking on at least once a day. That could be covered by carers, but the need for a 24/7 response to the unexpected (door alarms for wandering, agitation etc), can't be catered for. The only way to cover a period of my absence apart from the care home option, is to have a live in, round the clock carer.
I would need to look at bringing in someone from an agency, has anyone done this for someone who is still fairly physically fit? I'm very wary of bringing a stranger in, but don't see any other options. What should I look out for, what are the pitfalls and does anyone have any advice on this route?
Many thanks.

margherita

May 30, 2017
Italy, Milan and Acqui Terme
Hi @LunaJ , your plan sounds good. Why are you wary of bringing a stranger in? If they are sent by an agency they should be reasonably reliable. Or are you afraid that your mum may not accept a person she doesn't know?
Sorry , I haven't a personal experience of temporary live in carers to share, but I am sure other TP members will be along soon with good advice.

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
Do you have any good friends that would be on standby in emergencies and do a daily call if she is that independant? I know I would for a friend.

Or Mums neighbour?

Granted, my neighbour doesnt have dementia, but when her dau is away I fill in her role,making sure Mum is kay, having a cuppa with her at some point each day, and just checking she's okay.

is there anyone you could ask?

lollyc

Sep 9, 2020
My Mum went into respite in February. At that point she had had one jab, and I was told she would be isolated in her room for the 14 days. She wasn't and mixed fairly freely with the other residents. She is immobile, so it wasn't that she couldn't be prevented from wandering. The home did regular testing and temperature monitoring. In reality I don't think it is actually possible to prevent people leaving their rooms, unless you lock them in, and I imagine there are legal reasons that you can't do that.
It may be worth clarifying the situation with the home.