Live-in Care

GM1

Feb 12, 2015
Can anyone offer experience of live-in carers for a partner with dementia, as an alternative to residential care. Does it work? What are the issues? How long can it last?

johnbee

Account Closed
Sep 11, 2011
Can anyone offer experience of live-in carers for a partner with dementia, as an alternative to residential care. Does it work? What are the issues? How long can it

A popular route these days is to employ an Au pair. I know of one or two people who have done this.

Pacucho

Hi,

I have just picked up your message about live-in carers. I have had experience of doing exactly this in respect of caring for my late mum who had vascular dementia.

The key to whether live-in carer vs. residential care is better is basically down to finding the right staff/person. Whichever option is selected this is the most important and the most difficult thing to do.

Also, the challenge involved is in finding someone who connects with the person living with dementia, especially when it comes to personal care.

It can be done but there are some other issues you also need to factor in which include the following:

- Do you have the space to provide a room for the carer ?
- You need to be able to get used to living with a "stranger"
- You need to set some professional boundaries in any such arrangement
- You need to effectively act as a monitor/manager of the carer
- They will not be able to cover 24 hours a day. How do you manage this ?
- They will need a break for a 1 day a week
- You will probably need to provide food for them
- How long will they be prepared to stay as a live-in carer. In my experience you will be lucky to find a good person who can stay for more than 3 months.

These are just some of the issues you need to consider, but as I said the challenge is finding the right person who also has an understanding/experience of dementia. There are some excellent national agencies but they are expensive. If you would like details of the ones I know please send me a personal message.

This has been discussed before and you may find the following thread helpful: http://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/showthread.php?78715-Live-in-care&p=1042633&highlight=live+in+carer%20-%20post1042633.

Finally, here is an article which provides some advice on looking for a carer: Article.
Hope this helps,

Paco