Live in care

Skygreen

Sep 26, 2019
Hi
Mum in the early stages of dementia but is high risk of falls.
Explored and trialled various care options.
Decided live in care is next step for mum.
Didn't succeed at hiring a private/self employed live in care person. Now working with a live in agency which is not living up to expectations.
I am feeling very ill at ease, going back to trying to find a self employed live in care person. Or changing the agentcy mum is with now.
Any tips, advice or experiences would be gratefully received

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello @Skygreen

Personally I would try different agencies until you find one which meets yours and your mother`s needs.

I would hold back from a self employed private carer simply because I doubt I would have any comeback if things were not satisfactory.

I have no experience of live in carers though and someone with experience might be more positive.

I used a day care agency which was excellent

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
I tried 2 different live in care agencies for my dad but neither carers they supplied were adequate in dementia care regardless of what expertise and training they claimed the carers have. The second carer was dreadful and her placement was terminated immediately after 5 days by me after an incident although I had niggling concerns before it reached that point.Dad was too vulnerable and declining so dementia care home was the only next step. I tried a national and local agency. Maybe we were unlucky, it should work. However I still had to give 2 hours cover each day, the expense was steep as dad needed a 2nd carer at night so the live in carer could sleep as he was a night time pacer. Others have had better experiences