Little things that seem so huge

Discussion in 'I have a partner with dementia' started by Alison N, May 9, 2015.

1. Alison N

Alison N Registered User

Jan 3, 2015
    Surrey
    I think I have hit a low point. Something that was so trivial set me off firstly in a temper and then upset and tearful. I had a lineful of washing that was on the way to being dry. The next thing I saw it was pouring with rain, too much to rescue it. I waited until it stopped and brought it in, soaking wet, put in the washing machine to spin it again and went upstairs to get hangers so that I could dry it indoors. The hangers got caught around each other as hangers do and I ended up throwing them across the room. I then disolved in floods of tears.

Is this something that happens to others I wonder? This wretched disease has so much to answer for. Most of the time I can cope but just a little thing has sent me into a tailspin.

2. Izzy

Izzy Volunteer Moderator

Aug 31, 2003
    Female
    Dundee
    Oh yes Alison. That sounds very familiar! I think you're so right about the little things setting you off. It happens to me on a regular basis. I bet it happens to most other people too.

I hope you're sitting down with a big cup of tea or coffee now. Take care. :)

3. It's always the little things that do for us...because we step up a gear and cope with the big things.

I take shortcuts. I might have left the washing out to dry again on its own. I can so imagine hangers tangling sending me into a crazy rage. It's undignified but healthy really. Certainly nothing to worry about per se.

Allow yourself to have these moments and do something nice for yourself once you have calmed down after each moment to help you feel better, a phone call to a friend, 10 minutes in the fresh air when the rain stops, a bunch of flowers to yourself.

Take care...hope the sun comes out soon.

x

4. Tin

Tin Registered User

May 18, 2014
    UK
    The little things would always set me off, especially laundry! Pre Dementia simple job, load in machine, hang out, iron some and put away. Now the clean laundry is left in machine far too long so the smell and then another wash. Can't iron anything these days and I keep leaving the iron on!!! Airing cupboard crammed with clean and very dry clothes I open to put just a little more in and the whole lot falls out, that's when I just give up!!!

5. patsy56

patsy56 Registered User

Jan 14, 2015
    Fife Scotland
    oh yes, I have to bite my tongue, also crying in the shower or bath helps ( I got soap in my eyes) they don't realise really.

6. lin1

lin1 Registered User

Jan 14, 2010
    Female
    East Kent
    Oh yes, I remember it well.
    Its because you're under a lot of strain. I found I coped better with the big things , it was always the little things that got me throwing my toys out the pram and sobbing my heart out.

((((((HUG))))))

7. Alison N

Alison N Registered User

Jan 3, 2015
    Surrey
    Thank you everyone, I don't feel quite so bad knowing that I am not the only one that feels this way. DazeInOurLives, yes the sun has just come out.

8. Beate

Beate Registered User

May 21, 2014
    Female
    London
    I get like that when I am stressed - I could scream when anything goes wrong even though those things don't normally set me off. Be nice to yourself. Try to have a breather and do something you like doing, and things will start to look brighter again.

9. patsy56

patsy56 Registered User

Jan 14, 2015
    Fife Scotland
    [​IMG]

10. Alison N

Alison N Registered User

Jan 3, 2015
    Surrey
    Oh, Patsy56 you have made me smile. Thank you

11. Lilac Blossom

Lilac Blossom Registered User

Oct 6, 2014
    Scotland
    Yep, I'm another one - you're certainly not the only one Alison. xx

12. CynthsDaugh

CynthsDaugh Registered User

May 5, 2015
    Salford, Lancashire
    Washing has nearly sent me in a spin today as well! Mums got a cold so stayed sleeping in bed, her bedroom is next to the kitchen so I couldn't put the machine on as it would make too much noise. Major panic - when would I get the washing done?? Of course I could do it tomorrow but took a while to realise that!

13. patsy56

patsy56 Registered User

Jan 14, 2015
    Fife Scotland
    I'm lucky have a laundrette round the corner if need be.

14. Chuggalug

Chuggalug Registered User

Mar 24, 2014
    Norfolk
    Me. All the time. Every single day. Sucks, don't it :( Really feel for you and sending you a bumper hug with bells on, xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

15. Alison N

Alison N Registered User

Jan 3, 2015
    Surrey
    Feeling a bit better now. Tidied up drawers in the wardrobe and chucked a load of old clothes and junk out. It made me feel so much better.

Thanks everyone xx

16. truth24

truth24 Registered User

Oct 13, 2013
    North Somerset
    You sometimes wonder why these silly things happen, don't you. Went to feed birds today and lid came off container spilling birdfood everywhere. Just felt like leaving it but of course I didn't but took ages to clear up!

17. Redpoppy

Redpoppy Registered User

Jul 31, 2012
    Glamorgan s.wales
    So many of the little things got me down a few weeks ago so I decided, as advised,to cheer myself up so made an appointment for a pedicure.I ended up with pretty pink toenails,but a small but thick chunk of skin taken off my heel. It's taken 2weeks to heal and I spent about £12 on dressings and insoles so that I could hobble about. It certainly didn't cheer me up. Next time (and I'm sure there will be a next time ) I will get my hair done instead. Seriously though We all have these feelings and the small things that happen are " the straw that broke the camel's back" Just try to think that things will be better tomorrow.

18. dumpygirl

dumpygirl Registered User

Nov 20, 2013
    derbyshire
    I love this. wish I was clever enough to do it. lol.

19. WIFE

WIFE Registered User

May 23, 2014
    WEST SUSSEX
    Yep! You're a signed-up member of the human race, Alison.