Little difference

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
Dad has been on his new pills for his Kidneys and heart 6 days now. The doctor has given him furosemide 20 mg twice a day and his Bisoprolol up to 5 mg once a day. If I’m honest I cannot see much of a difference in his urine output.
He is still coughing a lot and is carrying fluid around his stomach. His legs although not big from carrying fluid are retaining it as his socks are marking as well as his straps from his catheter.
His Egfr has gone down to 32.
His carers noted last week that he was struggling to stand and walk and this was first thing in the morning.
I know that Furosemide can lower blood pressure and make it difficult for him.
He looks okay in the morning but as the day carries on he gets tired and his blue lips come back.
When talking he has to take breaths in between words but he has been like this for a while.
He has started to cough up more phlegm. He has lost weight by the look of his face (starting to look gaunt) but I cannot weigh him.
But his clothes are a tight fit around his waist. I’m having to buy new clothes every few weeks at the moment.
The doctor has got the nurses coming in every week to check blood pressure and pulse alongside taking blood to keep an eye on his kidneys...We shall see..

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
@TNJJ, wishing you strength, how is your dad in himself, is he aware of this slow decline? It's good the nurse is keeping an eye on him, do you know if the GP has anything else he can try?
How's your mum doing. You really are doing an amazing job caring for both your parents.

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
@TNJJ, wishing you strength, how is your dad in himself, is he aware of this slow decline? It's good the nurse is keeping an eye on him, do you know if the GP has anything else he can try?
How's your mum doing. You really are doing an amazing job caring for both your parents.
Unfortunately he is very much aware. He has vascular dementia and although gets confused it has not moved on much. The health issues have become much more prominent.
I think the GP is going to try and see what medication is needed and either up the dose or take some away.
I did chat to him last week and I did discuss what would happen if the medication doesn’t work@palliative care. He wants to try the medication route before that but did say it could end up being palliative care.Especially as dad is 87 and in poor health.
Mum is getting more anxious and it was a bit of a nightmare taking her shopping. She also cannot grasp that this lockdown there are no cafes etc open to go and have a drink and that we would have to sit outside.
She had a walk in shower put in and has finally used it on her own but with me about.. They had to put the electric wire through a cupboard at the end of the shower (where the end of the bath was) . All I heard about was she didn’t think that was right and how she couldn’t put her small laundry basket in there now. She did but didn’t want to touch the wire.
I was on the loo yesterday and she came in to talk .. (she has never done that before)Some days there are no differences and she appears “normal “. Other days you can certainly notice it..

Starting on a journey

Jul 9, 2019
Oh you have your hands full with both mum and dad. At least they live apart!
All you can do with your dad is monitor and follow what the doctor says. If he needs more care he will have to go into a home/hospital. You must be worn out!!

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
Dad has been taken off one of his blood pressure medications by the doctor. Amlodipine . His blood pressure was checked by the nurse and was 90/58.It is a good job I now have a dossett box and not a blister pack..

Starting on a journey

Jul 9, 2019
Oh bless, I seem to remember you were trying to cut down and avoid running out of energy, but I guess the pandemic got in the way. Try and rest and relax when you can and take pride that you are doing a good job.

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
This a little off the thread but I said to dad” Whenever you have the carers you appear to be with it and very much on the ball. Yet, when you are with me you struggle to get up from your wheelchair and sometimes you are a bit confused “
His reply which I found interesting “ “They are only here 30 mins so I can manage that.You are here all day “
Just goes to show hostess mode/showtime is applied to certain circumstances .?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jliesman