Little chance for mum now

jelba

Aug 1, 2012
Huddersfield
Salt team came and visit my mum if I knew they were coming I would have been there they can't do nothing for my mum she can still eat but her body and mind are beginning to shut down if we feed mum they got no problem with that but she only going to eat cold foods and drink as it easier for her to swallow and with Christmas comming up could not be the worst time for this to happen she had this for 5 years so knew end was comming very soon thinking of doing a early Xmas day for my mum get the rest of the family to come but don't know if some of the younger ones could deal with this

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Sorry to hear this, @jelba . I understand your instinct to have one last Christmas with your mum. But will your mum be aware? Will it mean anything to her? It would take a bit of time and organisation. You might just prefer to spend the time with your mum. If it's something you all want to do, then go for it, but I wouldn't let yourself feel pressured by the time of year.

Wishing you peace and courage during this time.

Jkaur

Oct 31, 2017
Salt team came and visit my mum if I knew they were coming I would have been there they can't do nothing for my mum she can still eat but her body and mind are beginning to shut down if we feed mum they got no problem with that but she only going to eat cold foods and drink as it easier for her to swallow and with Christmas comming up could not be the worst time for this to happen she had this for 5 years so knew end was comming very soon thinking of doing a early Xmas day for my mum get the rest of the family to come but don't know if some of the younger ones could deal with this

Hi
sorry to hear about your mum. I am in the same situation my has been in a nursing home since 18 September 2017. Palliative care or end of life i been told by the so called professional. 3rd week since she has eaten still drinking juice and water. Has been in bed since 24/8/2017 and does not move any part of her body. As you said with xmas a few weeks away what do you do. I am very stressed as she is in alot of pain and discomfort.
They really don't know what time it is or day. So we can only comfort them with love and patience.
Hope you and your family enjoy your xmas with your mum it could be the last one we have with them.....mums are we dear to us all....xxxx

malengwa

Jan 26, 2017
I wish you both peace. My mum passed away last week, after a fairly short time at end of life care. In a way, I'm glad she didn't linger on too long, but still heartbroken that I no longer have mum.
do what you need to. Enjoy christmas if you can, all that matters is the time you spend together at this time. These moments are precious.

Jkaur

Oct 31, 2017
I wish you both peace. My mum passed away last week, after a fairly short time at end of life care. In a way, I'm glad she didn't linger on too long, but still heartbroken that I no longer have mum.
do what you need to. Enjoy christmas if you can, all that matters is the time you spend together at this time. These moments are precious.

So sorry to hear about your mum. Unsure what it all means palliative care or end of life care. I wish i had faith it is always good to have........xxx

jelba

Aug 1, 2012
Huddersfield
I've have come to terms she comming to the end but my dad keeps getting more angrier at the care home that she won't eat puree food salt team can't do no more for her he fighting a losing battle social worker comming Wednesday to see her been giving her milkshake and yogurts to keep her going I'm trying to get my dad to go online but he won't accept nothing what they say as he thinks he always right and everyone else is wrong need advice thanks

malengwa

Jan 26, 2017
Hi jelba, your dad is coming to terms in his own way. Right up until mums last week, my dad was still saying 'if' she goes. Then the day before she passed he said 'I think she's had it now' it was his time to accept that the end was coming. It is really hard for you though as your grief is in a different place.
I wish you strength, keep posting,

Winnie10

Feb 25, 2013

I think having an early Xmas Day would be too stressful for you. Also younger family members don't need this as a memory of her. Let them remember her when she was better than she is now.