Literary executor

thebes

Feb 10, 2014
London
This may not apply to many but in case it helps someone else here is the story. My OH has had a long and successful career, including some things that earn him occasional royalty payments. He always intended to write a book about a particular project and had saved all the relevant papers, some of which may be a bit controversial. Fast forward to 2 years ago when I became worried about his health, memory etc, he was still writing and it still read Ok. But a few months later he wasn't coping well with using the computer and so stopped, and has not been able to add to it coherently since. He was then diagnosed with Alzheimers and we did the usual update of wills , sorted out powers of attorney etc. I didn't think to mention the book or royalty issues, so nothing is specifically said about them. Later last year I registered the LPAs as decision making is now not feasible for him, I and other family members hold the LPAs.
Now there has been an expression of interest in the book and getting it through a final edit and published.Great I thought. But then came the query, who is his literary executor? Who has the authority to make agreements, sign contracts etc on his behalf? I quoted the LPA for finance and property. Not happy that is clear enough authority came back the reply, please send a letter from your solicitor to clarify things and confirm you can do this. Which I have just arranged at the cost of £450 plus Vat.
So if it might apply to you and yours, it makes sense to spell these things clearly in the first place. It's not going to be the sort of book that will make money, but the family and I would be thrilled to see it finally make it into print as a proper book, not just self published which we had been starting to wonder about.

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
Likewise... Membership of any on line group.... Facebook, Twitter..... Amazon.... Family history..... On line passwords.... Legal "ownership" has to be clearer than mud......

It's in the wording....

I give my all to ***** doesn't necessarily mean I give my all rights, property, on line passwords.... everything to *****

I have no legal wording experience.... So probably got the legal wording wrong.....

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Last edited:

Chuggalug

Mar 24, 2014
Norfolk
You could self-publish, Thebes. My hubby used to run a magazine. A contact of ours published a beautiful book called Hinckley Hollow and he did it via an online publishing site. It's called something like Lulu. It happened so long ago, I can't remember the proper name of it now, but there are sites that do this, perhaps for a small fee.

Here we go. I've found it:

https://www.lulu.com/

Last edited:

thebes

Feb 10, 2014
London
Thanks all, going to chat to my stepson later, who is the other attorney and see what he thinks is best for his Dad's interests.