Lions Mane mushroom extract

PabloG

Dec 31, 2020
Hello, my name is John, my wife Freda was diagnosed with Dementia 2 years ago which has deteriorated gradually, but recently because of isolating due to Covid has become noticeably worse, has anyone heard of or experience of Lions Mane extract, there are claims that it helps with the enhancement in the production of nerve growth factor, so improving memory. Currently she is prescribed Memantine 20mg, I spoke to the Memory clinic to see if her medication could be adjusted to compensate for the deterioration, but they say that there is nothing further to help.

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Hello @JohnGigg and welcome to DTP

I haven't heard of lions main extract but suspect it won't be effective in the treatment of dementia. I remember looking for anything which would help with my mum's dementia but not finding anything real some years ago. We all hope for a cure asap but nothing has been proven yet. The thing that helped me most to deal with this awful disease has been the people on this forum who saw me through the worst of times.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Im afraid that the internet is awash with fake remedies for various things. Fake remedies for covid have had a spot light on them, but there is fake stuff out there for loads of other things - among them dementia. The sellers of this stuff rely on peoples desperation and willingness to try anything, but it really doesnt work and you would be wasting your money.

Like Bunpoots, I found this forum an incredible source of help and support. The collective knowledge on here is amazing.

Rosettastone57

Oct 27, 2016
This product would appear to be advertised as a prevention rather than a cure on some websites. In any event, don't waste your money on it.

Rich2410A

Jan 3, 2021
Just a bit of a rant.
If people ask about lions mane.If you don't know about studies done on it then don't tell others.oh probably a waste of money mate.Just don't comment if you don't know.
Its not a cure,there is no cure but it may help a little.There have been trials and studies and it has been shown without doubt to have benefot to awareness nad mood.It very cheap and its easy to get anywhere its just a powdered mushroom in capsules that produces nureogenesis and has removes plauges in mice trials

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
From studies with mice, Lion’s Mane is believed to be able to prevent the neuronal damage from amyloid-beta plaques, which accumulate in the brain during Alzheimer’s disease and reduces the symptoms of memory loss. For now no such studies have been executed with humans.

However there are studies with adults that show great results for improving the brain functioning. In just four months they have seen huge improvement in the older people who took 3 grams of powdered Lion’s Mane daily.

So despite the facts we need to keep in mind most of the studies have been conducted in animals or test tubes, so there is a need for more research with humans.

benefitsofa

Aug 21, 2022
From studies with mice, Lion’s Mane is believed to be able to prevent the neuronal damage from amyloid-beta plaques, which accumulate in the brain during Alzheimer’s disease and reduces the symptoms of memory loss. For now no such studies have been executed with humans.

However there are studies with adults that show great results for improving the brain functioning. In just four months they have seen huge improvement in the older people who took 3 grams of powdered Lion’s Mane daily.

So despite the facts we need to keep in mind most of the studies have been conducted in animals or test tubes, so there is a need for more research with humans.
Some studies suggest that lion’s horn has anti-depressant-like effects in mice. It also supports the development of new neurons in the hippocampus.

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia

The stuff I read used words like ‘could’ and ‘may’, or my favourite ‘is believed to ‘ which is usually a clear indication that appropriate studies haven’t been done or that it is the stuff of folk lore.

I agree that we need to keep open minds about the potential of all sorts of things but I don’t believe they should be ‘selling’ so called benefits without adequate validation. For example, foxglove was used for centuries to treat heart conditions and the now synthetically produced drug digitalis which came from that plant is very beneficial. And until proper studies are done, dosage is also a bit hit and miss.

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
I like to look at the evidence base before reaching a view or making a decision, especially where health is at issue. It would seem almost beyond wildest dreams that something naturally available could provide a simple solution to prevention and alleviation of dementia. If such a substance - Lions Mane or some other - had proven effectiveness in humans, I would expect pharmaceutical manufacturers to capitalise on this by large scale production.

Unfortunately the evidence base is weak, which is why Lions Mane remains a small-scale product of unknown worth. I cannot say for certain that it doesn't have beneficial effects. For me, though, until proven otherwise I see no reason for believing the inflated claims that I read on the web.

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
Hi @benefitsofa and welcome to Dementia Talking Point. This is a supportive and friendly community of people who have experience of many aspects of dementia. Have a good look around, perhaps start your own thread if you have particular questions or issues. You'll find empathy and help here.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Whenever I see a newbie come on to extoll the virtues of some dubious product for dementia the cynic in me suspects that its an advertising stunt , in order to raise the profile of said product - and this is often reinforced by their user name and profile ;)