Lionel and Connie - it is you isn't it???

fearful fiona

Apr 19, 2007
London
In today's Daily Mail? It has to be, no doubt about that. Well done you for bringing this to everyone's attention. I feel proud to be a friend.

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london

CraigC

Mar 21, 2003
London
Thanks for the link!
Well done Connie :) and thank you!

I'm sure many of us have had similar experiences. The quality of care varies so much. Glad this is being brought to public attention.

Kind Regards
Craig

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
View attachment 2117

Well done Connie, you really are a Star. Two write ups and a radio interview.........brilliant.

When Craig indicated the interview lasted 5 minutes, I thought it would be short and sweet. But I was surprised how much information could be packed in to those 5 minutes.

Last edited:

Les

Jun 23, 2004
Hampshire
Connie I am SO impressed. After all we have been through recently with dad, it's just great to see people out there telling it like it is. I've forwarded links to my Mum, and she will be able to see that she's not alone.
Love Lesleyx

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Thanks Suzy R for the link - I would have missed that one.

Yes, Radio 4 today live, BBC Essex and Essex FM tomorrow (pre-recorded this morning at the Studios.

Just done telephone interview for tomorrows East Anglian Times.

This is not about Lionel or myself. We are just being used to illustrate that not all care out there is as it should be.
Carers should have dementia training, it is up to us to make a noise about it.

Could not have done this a year ago, everything was too fraught, too raw, but now, with Lionel settled in a really good home, maybe I can help out a little bit.

Thanks for all the good wishes.

elaineo2

Jul 6, 2007
leigh lancashire
Well done Connie and Lionel!
i read the paper this morning and was over the moon that A/z society are demanding dementia care training in all homes.I back A/Z all the way.A Referendum on care policies is needed.
To be honest with you Connie,i have had rants on this before now.Today,i have been in work for other reasons than actually working! and have brought this up.Unfortunatley(fortunatley really) the manager is on annual leave and i am in charge.A big big letter with the link to the daily mail was e mailed to head office.hope you don't mind that i said that a good friend of mine was actually "Quoted" in the article and her dear husband Lionel had his pic in the article.

Just want to prove a point about dementia care!

love elainex

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Elaine:
hope you don't mind that i said that a good friend of mine was actually "Quoted" in the article and her dear husband Lionel had his pic in the article.

Just want to prove a point about dementia care!
Fine by me.

We are all friends here, and anything that helps the campaign must be good.

May

Oct 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Connie, I heard you on Radio 4 and thought, 'Connie sounds just like her photo!' Well done, an excellent interview. Thank you.

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
just in case anyone interested as this thread is highlighting about the abuse also with medication to keep people with dementia quite in care home

Panorama
BBC 1 London

Monday 3rd December on BBC 1 London from 20:30 to 21:00

Please Look After Dad

A look at the powerful anti-psychotic drugs regularly prescribed to around 100,000 people with dementia, revealing the results of a study that suggests they can cause significant harm. The findings come as no suprise to a woman, followed by the programme, who suspected her father's health was damaged by the medication SUB

Al

Last edited:

merlin

Aug 2, 2006
Surrey
Hi Connie

Heard you on radio 4 the other day quite by chance. Guessed it was you as I think at one point you mentioned Lionel.
Congratulations for putting the points over for us all. Hope the AS keeps the pressure on. Need help call me.

Merlin

elaineo2

Jul 6, 2007
leigh lancashire
Hi Connie.i was over the moon at the report in the daily mail.stimulation is abound where i work,but i can understand the workload carers have and there isn't always time to do activites.i can see that it's a matter of what comes first!Ensuring the resident is clean,fed etc their laundry done,their room is clean.the activity co-ordinator needs our help for activities,where does the priority lie?ok my home can cope with helping out,there must be homes that struggle
love elainex

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
thanks for that link Hazel go into it more , I cant believe also that what I always thought about those drugs is actually going to be on TV .

Its one thinking if you agree to give a love one medication like that ,after reading another thread about those type of medication because they very violent , but it seem to be happening with out the the love one not knowing .

are you saying when you said

I believe a similar thing happened to my Dad.

that they not telling you they giving it to your father

daughter

Mar 16, 2005
Hi Margarita,

I knew that Dad was being given the drug, but once he was started on it I believe it was given as a matter of routine. I suppose there are not enough (trained) staff in homes and hospitals to cope with aggression in other ways so perhaps my expectations were just unrealistic(?)

I also believe the home were trying to get Dad onto a different (milder?) type of drug but there was never any change after eight months until he collapsed.

Thanks for asking. x