Links between dementia and heart problems

Discussion in 'ARCHIVE FORUM: Support discussions' started by Hannah1, Jul 6, 2007.

1. Hannah1

Hannah1 Registered User

Apr 29, 2007
    Hi all,
    I've spotted a few articles online about links btwn dementia and heart probs. Does anyone know anything more about it?
    Thanks very much

2. jenniferpa

jenniferpa Volunteer Moderator

Jun 27, 2006
    I'm not sure if this is what you are referring to but various heart conditions, particularly atrial fibrilation (which my mother has) can cause the blood to pool (and thus be more inclined to clot). If those clots make it to the brain, the result may be a stroke which can cause dementia (also applicable to my mother).

I think that anything that causes the blood flow to slow could have the same results.

Jennifer

3. Hannah1

Hannah1 Registered User

Apr 29, 2007
    here's a link

Thanks Jennifer, that's helpful to know, but it's not exactly what I meant. This story below explains it briefly better than me!

http://abcnews.go.com/WNT/Health/story?id=129248&page=1

There are few more articles like this. Something about developing plaques on the brain? I've read about that in other posts on here.
    Thanks

4. Sandy

Sandy Registered User

Mar 23, 2005
  5. Hannah1

Hannah1 Registered User

Apr 29, 2007
    Thanks sandy, that's really helpful. Cheers