Link to Herpes Virus...Treat?

grandson39

Dec 3, 2018
Hi All, my grandad has been recently diagnosed. I have been looking a lot at the research about the possible link of HSV1 and AD...I wondered if anyone here has heard about anybody with AD receiving suppressive treatment for HSV1, which they think had a slowing effect on AD progression. There hasn’t been any clinical studies yet on this area, so anecdotal comments would be helpful to us. Do let me know, I’d love to hear your stories or opinions on this area of research.

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello @grandson39, welcome to the forum.

I can't say I've noticed this as a subject for discussion but use of the 'search' facility shows the research was mentioned in the years before I joined the forum. Maybe if you use the 'search' facility you will find something of interest.

Funny thing is that my wife suffered with HSV and had regular outbreaks of mouth sores until around the time she was put under investigation for dementia(she was diagnosed with MCI 3yrs ago and Dementia 2yrs ago) but she has not had an outbreak for 3-4 years. I discussed this with her just a few months ago as I was surprised by the coincidence - of course, she just hadn't thought about or noticed it.

Apart from that do have a good look around TP as you can learn lots from threads on the forums. Also, there is a publications list that covers all issues related to dementia and you can find that with this link https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/get-support/publications-factsheets-full-list the list is useful for many things like understanding the issues and sorting out things like Power of Attorney, care needs assessments etc.

You can also do a post code check for support services in your area by following this link https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/find-support-near-you

Now that you have found us I hope you will keep posting as the membership has vast collective knowledge and experience.

MrCanuck

Jun 9, 2016
Ontario, Canada
I recall reading about that awhile back and I tracked down the link I saw.https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4019841/

Its a medically technical article from 2014 and concludes:

CONCLUSION
Data reviewed here support the hypothesis that recurrent HSV-1 infection in the brain may have a critical role in AD pathogenesis by directly activating intracellular pathways leading to typical AD molecular hallmarks.

grandson39

Dec 3, 2018
Hi @karaokePete and Hi @MrCanuck ,

There is a huge amount of research now linking HSV1 and AD/Neurodegenerative diseases. There has also been a study carried out on the entire national health database of Taiwan showing that patients who received anti-viral medication during their lifetimes, in response to a cold sore attack, had a very significantly reduced risk of then going on to develop AD. I am surprised that the links are not discussed more widely on the forums as it seems to me to be a smoking gun, and may offer potential for new treatment options. There is currently also a study ongoing in America to treat AD sufferers with anti-virals. Sorry I can't link to anything yet as I'm still a new member but it's all easily googlable. Has anyone else got any more experiences to add or news on this area too?

CBK

May 10, 2016
Hi my husband was diagnosed originally with dementia over 6 years ago, then early onset Alzheimer's 3.5 years ago. At that point prescribed Donepizal 10mg, also on daily dosage of 2 X 400mg Acyclivor - prior to medication his condition was deteriorating, more and more odd things happening, however after 6 months of medication he kind of levelled out and remains more or less the same as of today. Would say he is very slowly deteriorating but still retains his driving licence which is very important to him, he is currently 63 years old. He had herpes zoster on his face, eye and half of his head about 20 years ago, was very ill and put into isolation as they did not know what was wrong with him HE has always thought that this herpes virus which kept coming back in various forms over his body affected his brain, caused numerous feverish illnesses with severe headaches which resulted in referral to tropical medicine as we had travelled all over the world. It was this consultant who after numerous tests thought herpes virus had caused the fevers (he was in hospital for a week on intravenous antibiotics) and put him on the daily dosage of Acyclivor. He also had a number of shingles attacks, he has now had the shingles jab and no repeat attacks.There is a professor at Manchester university who wrote a paper about the herpes virus and Alzheimers, I found it on the Internet a few years ago. So it is possible there is some kind of connection between herpes virus and Alzheimers. I hope this information is of use to you.

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
My mother developed AD but never had a cold sore in her life.

I think the causes of Alzheimer's are most likely multifactorial, so to focus on only one avenue wouldn't be much use. Over the 19 years I've been personally involved with Alzheimer's, both personally and in a volunteer capacity, I've seen many theories come and go. Some certainly had merit and deserved to continue to be investigated. What I suspect may turn out to be the case is that factors 4, 8, 11, 27 and 29 caused AD in person A, while factors 1, 5, 9, 15, 22 and 45 were the causes in person B. I feel AD is an intensely personal disease, with the causes being just as personal and individual. Hence my signature.

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
I agree Joanne. My mother has Alzheimers and has never had a cold sore in her life either.

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
I remember my mum having cold sores quite often and she never had a hint of dementia. In fact she was very sharp right up to the end.

Dad on the other hand has never had a cold sore in his life or even a cold or the sniffles as far as I can remember. He has always been as fit as a fiddle but he has alzhiemers.

I used to get cold sores when I was younger, usually after exposure to the sun but I have not had one for a long time. They always came in the same place and I knew the day before they appeared because I could feel the tingling under the skin.

I used the zovirax a few times, perhaps that is why I don't seem to get them now but I also protect my face from the sun nowadays so perhaps that's why!