Link between IBS and other inflammatory gut diseases and dementia

imthedaughter

Apr 3, 2019
This was published late last night in the Guardian, based on findings in the medical journal 'Gut'.

You can read the piece here: https://www.theguardian.com/society...bowel-inflammation-to-higher-risk-of-dementia

"Researchers now say they have found that people with IBD – inflammatory conditions including ulcerative colitis and Crohn’s disease, which have symptoms including stomach pain and bloody stools – have a greater chance of developing dementia than those without, and tend to be diagnosed with dementia several years earlier."

annielou

Sep 27, 2019
Yorkshire
Will read that Thanks for posting link. My mum was told she had diviculitis when I was young and now has Alzheimers. In my mid 20’s & 30’s I used to have lots of IBS symptoms but never went to doctors, still struggle with it a bit now but for last 10-15 years or so its been lots better so not sure if was that. My sister has Crohns disease diagnosed maybe 15 year ago. So be interesting to read report.

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
Like a lot of scientific studies, the findings were not conclusive, with the Alzheimer's Society commenting:

Fiona Carragher, chief policy and research officer at the Alzheimer’s Society, said the role of gut health and the gut microbiome was a key focus in dementia research. But, she warned, the study does not show that IBD directly increases the chances of getting dementia later in life, saying: “There are many other factors that were not controlled in this study, including diet, exercise and elements of psychological health such as depression and anxiety, which could have played a role.”

annielou

Sep 27, 2019
Yorkshire
Just been reading report and bit about parkinsons was interesting to me as one of mums brothers has parkinsons and the other also has dementia and have previously had bowel and stomach problems too.

imthedaughter

Apr 3, 2019
Like a lot of scientific studies, the findings were not conclusive, with the Alzheimer's Society commenting:

Fiona Carragher, chief policy and research officer at the Alzheimer’s Society, said the role of gut health and the gut microbiome was a key focus in dementia research. But, she warned, the study does not show that IBD directly increases the chances of getting dementia later in life, saying: “There are many other factors that were not controlled in this study, including diet, exercise and elements of psychological health such as depression and anxiety, which could have played a role.”
Yes it's definitely not conclusive. Seems there are a few studies working on trying to figure out what exactly the link is, if there truly is one. I have wondered if these conditions cause some kind of malabsorption of vitamins which nay play a part but I'm no scientist. Dad had stomach acid issues and although not fussy didn't pay a lot of attention to his diet really, and didn't ever take supplements even though he was supposed to.
The whole gut biome stuff is very interesting though. Kombucha, anyone?

Pepp3r

May 22, 2020
Interesting read, and I have come across other stories about gut health and general health. My mum didn't have a great diet and when we were young she was always taking something for acid indigestion. In the last couple of years Mum also had a few of courses of antibiotics, and they are not good for the gut either. Keep researching and hopefully they'll find some answers .