Like a Hyperactive toddler...

Rageddy Anne

Feb 21, 2013
Cotswolds
Still pending, Sam, as I've asked for a scan first to see if the cancer that needs a mastectomy is the only one. If not, I'm not sure, at my age, if I want several more years of treatments that will be unpleasant, besides being distressing for my family...

Rageddy Anne

Feb 21, 2013
Cotswolds
No longer hyperactive...

The hyperactive toddler has gradually become less and less active as his dementia has continued its erosion of the man we knew. Sometimes I almost wish that man to be back, throwing his teddies out of the pram and stamping his foot angrily! But he was in such distress.

But that's the nature of dementia as we currently know it, and what we need is a better understanding of how and why it attacks some people and not others. Newspaper headlines implying that the cause is related to lifestyle can be very hurtful to people who have done everything right, and yet still find themselves fighting the awful battle.

margherita

May 30, 2017
Italy, Milan and Acqui Terme
Still pending, Sam, as I've asked for a scan first to see if the cancer that needs a mastectomy is the only one. If not, I'm not sure, at my age, if I want several more years of treatments that will be unpleasant, besides being distressing for my family...

Have you already had your scan scheduled?
Waiting is always so distressing
Take care of yourself,Anne.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I hope you enjoyed meeting others at Bristol, Anne. Hopefully it will provide a better connection which might help support you through the coming increasingly difficult times.

It may be painful to see less hyperactivity in Rob but surely not as painful as the torment he was in in the earlier stages.

I do hope you won`t need major surgery.

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex

I understand your thoughts, I think it's a very personal decision, you are the one who has to get through the treatments. :eek:. Hope you get all the support you need to help you through ;)

Lizzie6391

Sep 11, 2017
Mrs

My Dad seems hypractive particularly when wanting to go home, he has been to the consultant today but is righr as rain when he sees anyone like that, as soon as he comes home starts saying he hasn't seen his Mom & then atarts walking, he has walked there 8 times today, he has a tracker but generally you can put money on where he willl be
He goes to a local newsagent or chip shop, they phone us to say he is there we fetch him back, the police bring him & members of the public but as soon as he comes hone he goes again, im worried something is going to happen, hes has become more aggresive towards my mom ( aged 80) partucularly when she brimgs him back, its torture for him , he really doesnt want to live there, my mom doesn't want to live on her own either, what can I do ? It iis driving us all crazy ? I feel its a disaster waiting to happen, I even rang 111 tonight but they didn't want to listen as my Dad wasn't there, he doesnt calm down until he is phyiscally exhausted & that was 10 pm tonight , can anyone help ? I feel so guilty of the thought of resbite or a care hone but I know thats what hes edging to !

Rageddy Anne

Feb 21, 2013
Cotswolds
Hello Lizzie. So sorry to see what you said about your dad. Your poor mum must be worn out!
Sometimes a doctor can prescribe a sedative that might help a little, but that need to go somewhere else is very strong.

There's a thread here titled Groundhog Day, about wandering and also the wanting to go home phase, which might be related.

Last edited:

RedLou

Jul 30, 2014
Hi R-Anne - just popped in to see how you are. Very pleased to see the macabre sense of humour! Take care and sending you a massive virtual hug.

Rageddy Anne

Feb 21, 2013
Cotswolds
The good news is they don't think my cancer has spread, so it will make sense to have the operation to remove it. Now must just get on with it.

Rob is certainly not hyperactive any more, and I can't see that changing. The blessing, in a way, is that he seems almost unaware of his predicament, and apart from protesting weakly when he's moved and being dressed and washed, he's relatively peaceful some of the time. But, as they ease off the meds, he does try to speak, and occasionally manages a few words that make sense...To my surprise he managed to say he'd like to go home....Oh dear.... But then he's peaceful again, and I'm pretty sure he enjoys the watermelon cubes I feed him.

He's lost a great deal of weight....my poor Rob, who was so sturdy...

Amethyst59

Jul 3, 2017
Kent
The good news is they don't think my cancer has spread, so it will make sense to have the operation to remove it. Now must just get on with it.

Rob is certainly not hyperactive any more, and I can't see that changing. The blessing, in a way, is that he seems almost unaware of his predicament, and apart from protesting weakly when he's moved and being dressed and washed, he's relatively peaceful some of the time. But, as they ease off the meds, he does try to speak, and occasionally manages a few words that make sense...To my surprise he managed to say he'd like to go home....Oh dear.... But then he's peaceful again, and I'm pretty sure he enjoys the watermelon cubes I feed him.

He's lost a great deal of weight....my poor Rob, who was so sturdy...

Oh, Anne...this is a mixed post...I just saw the first sentence and my heart lifted...I am SO pleased for you. Teeth gritted and get through the op. But then, I saw about poor Rob..and poor you. B!€€#¥ dementia.

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Good news on the not spreading :rolleyes: , hope your SIL will be holding your hand, but suspect you will grit your teeth & get on with it. It's ok to think of yourself ;) , take some time out for you :eek:

Amy in the US

Feb 28, 2015
USA
A mixed post, indeed, Anne. While it's not the same with a parent, of course, I am never really prepared for the changes in my mother, and it's always uncomfortable to reflect on the decline. While her lack of awareness of her condition is preferable to her anxiety and distress of earlier in the disease, it comes with a concomitant loss of ability and self that is invariably, well, horrifying. I'm sorry.

However, I am cheered to hear that the medicos don't think your cancer is metastatic, thank goodness. Of course you can't exactly look forward to the procedure, I'm sure, but I'm glad you will be getting those unhelpful bad cells removed. Sending you much care and concern.

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
Anne, your last post made me both sigh with relief - I am so glad that the cancer hasn't spread and that the op can go ahead - and feel very sad when I read about Rob's decline. As others have said - a very mixed post.

Mil's also declined quite rapidly lately, and so I can understand how that leaves you feeling, at least a little bit - very different when its your husband, I can imagine. Sending you much love, take care of yourself as much as you can, hun xxxx

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I'm so played t hear the news about your own health RA. I'm sorr though t hear about Rob.

Rageddy Anne

Feb 21, 2013
Cotswolds
THANKYOU for kind wishes and understanding..DIL saw Rob yesterday and said he was enjoying music...He did Lalala along to Land of Hope and Glory the other day, so there's still a shadow of him....
Sorry to read about MIL Ann.. Two buoyant spirits aren't they?

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
Such positive news about your health and as such showing the way ahead more clearly. That must be such a relief for you.
It's so sad to see the changes this disease brings. The medications make a difference too and that's a case of swings and roundabouts, it helps in some ways but makes other things worse. I hope for both your sakes that a compromise that helps Rob feel both comfortable and peaceful can be found. :)

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
Such a positive post about your health, hopefully now everything can move at full speed to make sure everything is dealt with.

Sorry to hear about Rob, hard thing about this disease is the slow downward spiral