Lights.

Carabosse

Jan 10, 2013
Mum has a bedside lamp on her bedroom table that stays on during the night and I switch it off when I get mum up in the morning, today when I went in to wake mum the light was off, somehow during the night when mum got up to use the commode she managed to switch the light off (although she says she never touched it).
I had thought of moving the lamp out of her reach but there is nowhere else in her bedroom (at the moment) that the lamp could go, leaving the main light on is out of the question as its too bright and she would never fall asleep!
I was wondering if any of you knew of a device that could be fitted to a lamp to prevent it from being switched off?

nellbelles

Volunteer Host
Nov 6, 2008
leicester
Just a thought, would one of the night lights that plugs directly into a socket give enough light, we used to have one on the landing for my Dad.

Helen x

Carabosse

Jan 10, 2013
Tried one of those lights that you plug in but it was still too dark for mum to see if she had to get up to use the commode, a dimmer switch might work but with it being the main light mum will play with it to try and turn it off.
I was thinking of something that could attach to the light so that she wouldn't be able to switch it off?

Jan 3, 2013
Sidcup
What about a different sort of light where there is no switch on the stand and then could you put the lead with the switch on down the back of the table or tape it underneath??

Just a thought

jeany123

Mar 24, 2012
Durham
Can you cover the switch with tape something or get the switch disconnected so it just works from the socket,

Sue J

Dec 9, 2009
How about a touch lamp so that it is simple for her to turn on when she has turned it off whihc her instinct seems to be telling her to do, coupled with a plug in light? Just some thoughts that may or may not help.

Acco

Oct 3, 2011
Not directly answering your question as suggestions already made here may help, but I use the LED battery operated lights which only switch themselves on when it is dark and do so when they detect movement. They then switch themselves off after a predetermined time and are merely secured with the attached adhesive pads. I have used them for a number of years due to concerns over my wife getting up in the night without the main light on and as our toilet is downstairs, I have one fixed at top and bottom of the stairs on the banisters. As I said, not strictly answering your question but may give you something else to consider.

lilysmybabypup

May 21, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Not sure how the room is set up, but is the lamp on the side she gets out of bed? Is it possible to pop it elsewhere in the room, and in a spot she wouldn't walk over to? She may not walk around the other side of the bed or room and turn it off if it meant walking back to bed in the dark. So, either put the bedside table on the other side from the one she gets up from, or put he lamp across the room on another surface.

Hope it helps

rjm

Jun 19, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Anyone who is comfortable working with electricity could easily either by-pass the switched socket or replace the switched with a non-switched socket, so that the lamp is only turned off by unplugging it.

Carabosse

Jan 10, 2013
The lamp is on the opposite side of the bed to which mum gets out of, the main switch at the socket is at the side she gets out of bed but thankfully she doesn't notice that (not yet anyway). Its just last night she switched the light off and maybe once before when it was put there as mum is scared of the dark, I want to nip this in the bud before it escalates to something else.
I had thought of replacing the lamp with one where the on/ off switch is so far down the cord, but knowing my mum she would follow the cord until she got it even if it was down the back of a table! A touch lamp is out of the question as I don't want mum turning the light on and off, its on all night so she can find the commode otherwise she could fall and hurt herself which she has done once before (before the light was in her room).
I can't put the light anywhere else as its close to a wall, if it was moved to the other side of the bed the door to the room wouldn't open too far and I can see an accident or two happening.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dorarosa