Light at the end of the tunnel, but no more strawberries

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
I'm just going to ramble for a bit to clear my head.
Two neighbours and a care worker in our extra sheltered housing have the virus. Christmas was not great due to C's daughter going down with a stomach bug and not joining us for the traditional lunch at Chinese restaurant. I rather enjoyed the peace, sorry that's a bit naughty but has a long story behind it. As C has only seen her twice on WhatsApp video call and not seen her son at all since November she is feeling a wee bit left out. Son has a bad habit when I remind him of promising to call then getting caught up in other things.
I think C has asked me when she will get cherries and strawberries every day for about a fortnight. I know there is fruit from warmer places, but it's always dry and hard so she won't eat it. She also asks if it is still winter every day. We've not even had the snow and ice other places have, though walking round the local streets on cold grey days is not quite the respite I like. Still, not I write that it is probably more than many carers get.
The light at the end of the tunnel is the vaccine has been booked for the 27th of this month at the local football stadium. Of course, C is immune and doesn't need to go, her father made her and the whole family immune for life apparently. I have to smile at the absurdity of it sometimes. Ach well, she took her Covid test happily when the care manager gave it and impressed me how easily she managed it. So, the vaccination should be fine, it may just take a bit of imagination on the day to get her out there. A sunny day would be wonderful though.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I’m glad you have the date for your vaccination @nae sporran It must be so hard for C not seeing her children and not getting all the things that make life more pleasant for her. Hard for you managing all of this too.

We have sleet and snow up here - it’s horrible. I think weather like this drags us down even further.

I hope all goes well with the vaccine - not long to go now!

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
Hope V Day goes well... Perhaps you could find some strawberries on the way home. Have you tried frozen ones? They don't look quite as pretty but they are usually sweet and would work very well chopped into some double cream with a few meringues thrown in...!

(What? Someone else has already invented this dessert? Hmmph.)

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I find frozen summer fruits a fair alternative but also put fresh strawberries in the microwave for 30 seconds and it does improve the taste

It hasn`t stopped raining here and it is also very cold. It doesn`t help morale in the slightest.

I`m pleased you have a date for the vaccine @nae sporran. I`m waiting patiently and am comforted to know most of my 80+ year old friends have either had it or have a date.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
I like to make the occasional jelly as the gelatine is good for my nails. If you mix the strawberry jelly then stir frozen strawberries into it it sets within minutes. Add a dollop of cream or ice cream and C would love it.

Justmary

Jul 12, 2018
West Midlands
I know your thread was meant to be serious @nae sporran but it has filled my head with wonderful images. Strawberries, meringues, jelly, cream, delightful. I shall treat myself tomorrow. (Hope the vaccine goes well)

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
@Justmary if you combine all the things you mention in a tall wine glass you can make yourself a knickerbocker glory. Just put them in layers with a berry on the top

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
I know your thread was meant to be serious @nae sporran but it has filled my head with wonderful images. Strawberries, meringues, jelly, cream, delightful. I shall treat myself tomorrow. (Hope the vaccine goes well)
Now I've got it all off my chest and had some good ideas I am happy to dream of knickerbocker glories ? . Thanks, Mary.

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Well, C did not want frozen fruit, so I didn't try it last week. She liked bananas, but until yesterday she still craved strawberries. I'm going to try frozen rasps or blueberries tomorrow and serve with fresh cream as a friend reckons they won't be as soft as strawberries when defrosted.
The visit to hospital was an adventure. Naturally after rushing around to be on time she was seen an hour late. Then, due to a fire on the other side of the hospital the lift was out of action. So, we waited an hour and a half to be allowed to leave. Thankfully the admin staff noticed we had been there for a while and brought sandwiches. C was actually calmer than I was. I hope she has forgotten by the time there is another appointment though, as I think it did put her off going again.
Her daughter is stirring up the surgery to get her vaccinated at home instead of at the football stadium, but with no guarantee of a date it will be at the fitba' on Wednesday.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
@naesporran you are right that if you defrost strawberries they can be mushy. That is why stirring them into a melted jelly and letting them set is a better idea. They retain their shape and texture.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
we use them in a flan. flan case, put fruit in and just add quick setting jelly. he uses my sugar free jelly and its very nice and not too sweet. uses frozen fruit or tin of peaches in their juice

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
A dessert my grandmother would make for us at Christmas was very simple. A layer of pineapple pieces covering the bottom of the bowl, a layer of green jelly, a layer of vanilla ice cream, a layer of red jelly, finished with a final layer of vanilla ice cream. This looks quite festive in a clear bowl or glass. I've made it for my sister and we happily enjoy it and the memories.

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
Summertime here so cherries, raspberries, blackberries and strawberries are plentiful as are mangoes, pineapples and melons of all sorts. It as been a cool summer so peaches aren't ripening well.

Strawberries go well in a smoothie with a dollop of yoghurt and a couple of small ice cubes. Great for all sorts of frozen berries.

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
@naesporran you are right that if you defrost strawberries they can be mushy. That is why stirring them into a melted jelly and letting them set is a better idea. They retain their shape and texture.
I forgot the jelly again, I'll nip into the Co-op later. Thanks Marian.

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
I like to make the occasional jelly as the gelatine is good for my nails. If you mix the strawberry jelly then stir frozen strawberries into it it sets within minutes. Add a dollop of cream or ice cream and C would love it.
I finally got strawberry jelly on Saturday with some fresh rasps from Morocco. Put together they are going down a treat. Thanks again Marion.