Light A Candle

angela.robinson

Dec 27, 2004
after reading Amy`s lovely christmas thread , i remembered last years rememberance tree, perhaps we can do a vitual, light a candle thread for this year ,
FOR JIM 21MAY 2005
IF YOU KNEW HOW MUCH I CRIED FOR YOU
EACH AND EVERY NIGHT
AND WISHED THAT I COULD HOLD YOU
IN MY ARMS,SO VERY TIGHT
THERE`S SO VERY MUCH ABOUT YOU THAT I MISS
IF I COULD GIVE YOU JUST ONE MORE KISS
JUST TO HOLD HANDS AND CHAT A WHILE
TO TOUCH YOUR HAIR AND SEE YOU SMILE
MY LOVE,MY LIFE,MY BEST FRIEND
I WILL LOVE YOU TILL MY LIFE ENDS .
ANGELA.X

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
Hi Angela

what a touching poem.

I'm not a poet, I fear, except of doggerel, but here are some candles for the thread.

candles.jpg

Taken at our old house.

TinaT

Sep 27, 2006
Costa Blanca Spain
Angela you are a very special, caring person. The poem made me cry. I'm glad that we have had love such as this to remember xx TinaT

Nutty Nan

Nov 2, 2003
Buckinghamshire
Advent!

Advent

Four candles shone on the Advent Wreath. It was very, very quiet, so quiet that one could hear the candles talking.

The first candle said “My name is Peace. My light shines, but people don’t take any notice. – Nobody wants me”. Its flame became smaller and smaller and eventually went out altogether.

The second candle flickered and said “My name is Faith – but I am superfluous. People are not interested in God. There is no point in my burning”. A slight breeze blew out the second candle.

Very gently, the third candle whispered “My name is Love. I have no strength left to burn. People ignore me. They are only interested in themselves and they have no time for those they should love”. And with a last weak flicker, its light went out.

At this moment, a little child entered the room. She saw the candles and exclaimed “whatever happened? You should all be burning brightly …..” and she almost burst into tears. That’s when the fourth candle spoke and said “worry not, little child! As long as I am alight, we can re-light the other candles. My name is Hope. The child took the light from the fourth candle and re-lit all the other candles.

Tender Face

Account Closed
Mar 14, 2006
NW England
Shrewsbury Abbey - November 2007 - a time of remembrance - and a candle is lit by special friends for special friends ..... brought together through loss - and yet celebrating life ........

Lives gone - battles fought - and lives still for living thanks to their legacies .......

Attachments

• S5000274.JPG
    S5000274.JPG
    160.7 KB · Views: 719

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
For some very special people

The years come and go
Bringing sorrow and joy
As we look to tomorrow
To find peace at last.

Some years have more sorrow
And yet some more joy
As I look to the future
And reflect on the past

And so my candles I will light
To show my love to all
To aid those who continue with the fight
And to stem the tears that fall

Now as I share my words with you
The lights dim in the hall
As the candles flicker one last time
May I say "God Bless you all"

Kayla

May 14, 2006
Kent
I'd like to light a candle in loving memory of my Mum, Jean, who died so suddenly in May 2007. She still had a sense of humour and cared for the feelings of others at the end of her life.
I will always miss her and remember the happier days before she became so ill and distressed.

I'd also like to light a candle for those who are facing the loss of their loved ones over Christmas.

It is good to be able to share experiences on TP and know that there is always somebody who understands what we are going through.

Thank you everybody.

Kayla

gigi

Nov 16, 2007
East Midlands
We learnt this at infant school and sing it every year within the family at christmas-it's not a christmas song-just part of us when we get together:
Jesus bids us shine with a pure,clear light
Like a little candle burning in the night
In this world of darkness so let us shine
You in your small corner,and I in mine...

For my dad who left us October 20th 2004-he'd be singing that with me....
Knowing him he probably is-up there somewhere....xx
And for all of us in our small corners....xx

Last edited:

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
:
Jesus bids us shine with a pure,clear light
Like a little candle burning in the night
In this world of darkness so let us shine
You in your small corner,and I in mine...
....xx

Well!! I first learn this in my first job as a Nursery Nurse, in a primary school in Salford, near Manchester, in 1960. It was a regular Assembley hymn. The children loved it and it`s nice to know it`s still going strong.

gigi

Nov 16, 2007
East Midlands
I've got goose pimples..and feel a bit like having a quiet weep.I was at school in Berwick and the pictures it conjures up are still so real....it would be about 1958 ...x

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
My mother used to sing "Jesus bids us shine" to my brother and me when we were small.

That would be about 66 years ago. Brought a lump to my throat too.

ginger

Nov 13, 2005
NE Lincs
I would like to light a candle for my dear mum who died January 18th 2008. This is the first christmas without her, I miss her so much. I would give anything just to give her a great big hug.

nickyd

Oct 20, 2007
warwickshire
I would like to light a candle in memory of my beautiful Mum, who passed away on Sept 8th this year. She was the loveliest, kindest most caring Mum ever, and I miss her with all my heart.
I love you Mum xxx

Tina

May 19, 2006
Loving memories of my grandparents, uncle, and two special aunties - smiling most days recalling good times, laughter, fun, encouragement and never-ending love and support. Life goes on, but it's not the same without you.

Tina

my little girl

Aug 23, 2007
Burnley
Candles lit with love

I would like to light a candle in memory of my beloved Grandma Alice Entwistle, who I have mentioned many times on this forum. But I would also like to light a candle for all the others I have loved & lost, my Grandma & Grandad White, Grandad Entwistle, Uncle Tony (taken much too young) and (if I may) Tinker, Danny & Gemma (you may have been dogs but you were the best friends this "little girl" ever had or is likely to ever have) I love you all & miss you with all my heart.