Lifting

Del24

Aug 17, 2014
Hertfordshire
I have just worked it out on average I have to lift my wife 10 times during the day and at 70 Kilos she is not a lightweight.
That would be lifting from bed, toilet, armchair, shower chair and wheelchair.
I never knew I would have the strength to do this as I am not a large man.

BR_ANA

Jun 27, 2012
Brazil
Be careful to not hurt yourself.

CH staff lift my mom about 10 times a day ( she is 45 kg) . I have already asked manager about hoist, but as it is optional ( on Brazil) they keep on manual lift.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
Please Del24 ask for some advice from an OT, so much lifting surely is not good for you - there may be other ways to move your wife, and devices to help
I can't bear the thought of something happening to your back one time ...

esmeralda

Nov 27, 2014
Devon
Shedrech is absolutely right Del, you shouldn't be lifting like that. Do contact your OT as soon as possible. If you haven't got one then contact the GP surgery and ask to be urgently referred to the Community Team.

Probably provision of equipment is patchy around the country like everything else but we have always been very fortunate in being allowed everything we've needed. I have a patient turner, a hospital bed and a hoist which can be operated by one person, as well as a wheelchair, commode and shower chair. I've always been determined that I would not attempt to pull my husband up or turn him alone because it's so easy to damage yourself and then where would you both be? I hope things go as well as possible for you.

Orientate

Apr 20, 2011
farnborough
Lifting aid

I have just worked it out on average I have to lift my wife 10 times during the day and at 70 Kilos she is not a lightweight.
That would be lifting from bed, toilet, armchair, shower chair and wheelchair.
I never knew I would have the strength to do this as I am not a large man.

I appreciate the problem as I have to do the same with my own wife who is unable to stand and therefore I lift her with a hoist which I can position over a bed/chair/wheelchair as required. Adult service should be able to provide something.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CaronL