Lifting aid for after a fall

claireizz

Jun 1, 2014
Hello, my mum cares for my Nan pretty much single handed. Nan has vascular dementia and often gets water infections and also often falls. My mum struggles to get her up again as she is much smaller both in height and weight. She has damaged her back and shoulders this week getting her off the floor. Can anyone recommend an aid to assist?

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
Ask social services to refer you to an OT. They can assess the situation and tell you what's needed and what they could provide you with for free. Also, some charities do courses in safe lifting/mobile handling or whatever it is called - check with your local Alzheimer's Society?

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
There are inflatable aids that I know a few people have had. The primary one is a Camel. They are expensive but some people have been able to get them via an OT/NHS assessment. They do require that you are able to roll the person onto the deflated unit before inflating it, and that's not always possible.

Anyway, this is the manufacturers website http://mangar.co.uk/patient-lifting/

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
Hi. The Ambulance service will often help lift a person when they have fallen at home. I have read that people on here who have called them out for this purpose.

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
My neighbour called an ambulance for the very same thing only this week, they were fine about it, checked Ron over etc etc.

The best advice my elderly father was given to 'self help' mum after a fall was to use a dining room chair. put the chair and sit on it, with its back to the faller.
You are there providing the counter balance and helping to guide hands for the faller to get themselves up using the chair to pull themselves
. It doesn't always work but better than hauling and hurting yourself.

claireizz

Jun 1, 2014
Thank you

Thank you everyone...I have arranged for an OT referral to see if there is anything they can suggest ...