Life without him....

Rageddy Anne

Feb 21, 2013
Cotswolds
We were married 56 years and 4 months....
I suppose those unexpected moments will keep cropping up....Last evening I was treated to a surprise visit to our local pantomime, in company with older son and second granddaughter...a very happy occasion. All was wel, very well, until they started a really jolly song and dance routine...They wouldn't have known that both Rob, and his dad before him, had often broken into that song at happy times...
" The sun has got his hat on,
hip hip hip hip hooray,
the sun has got his hat on
and he's coming out to play."
Oh dear, it was so hard to smile through it!!! Happy, and desolate at the same time...

Amethyst59

Jul 3, 2017
Kent
Music is so emotive, isn’t it? I was in a shop just a couple of days after Dad died and they played, ‘You are my sunshine..’ and I cried! I’d sung it to him while he was in hospital. I hope you enjoyed the pantomime too. Anything nice planned for today?

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
Just after mums funeral, my OH and I went on our already booked holiday

That evening, the entertainment was a “disco” of music

The first three songs played were the music we had at mums funeral

When it came to the fourth song, one of my mother’s favourites, I had to leave before completely breaking down in tears in front of everyone

Those four songs were regularly played during the week. Initially very painful, but after a while I began to think of them as comfort songs, songs to show me mum was still around.

Fanciful maybe, but that’s the only way I could hear them without sobbing

Rageddy Anne

Feb 21, 2013
Cotswolds
Music is so emotive, isn’t it? I was in a shop just a couple of days after Dad died and they played, ‘You are my sunshine..’ and I cried! I’d sung it to him while he was in hospital. I hope you enjoyed the pantomime too. Anything nice planned for today?

Today's exciting event has been a trip to the posh supermarket to buy things I probably didn't need and get my free newspaper. Have enjoyed having a hotdog instead of proper lunch, and have whipped some cream for a scone later on... Healthy eating will have to wait until tomorrow!
Might indulge by lighting the log effect gas fire later, when I make tea, Our clear blue sky has greyed over, but I'm not sure the Express's dramatic weather warnings are reflected by the Met Office forecast... However, I have got Rob's old snow scraper and some salt ready just in case...

Amethyst59

Jul 3, 2017
Kent
Hopefully it will be just picturesque snow, rather than the inconveniencing type! Do you know, I very often used to make myself scones for a Sunday afternoon treat when I was by myself. They are so quick...and it saves cooking an evening meal! Mum said that was the one small consolation of being alone, sometimes she made herself porridge instead of a meal!
I bought hot dogs for our lunch yesterday at the Christmas fair...and my four year old granddaughter wanted chips...which she had. But then she turned attention to my meal...and I gave her what was left of my sausage, thinking, I will just eat the roll....and then she wanted the roll too!! Hope you enjoyed yours in peace!

Rageddy Anne

Feb 21, 2013
Cotswolds
Oh dear, that wasn't much of a meal for you! At least I had all the hot dog and didn't need to share!

People keep ringing me up, and leaving messages for me to ring them back...it's going to cost a fortune, when I'm needing to watch the pennies, at least until I know what my income and out goings will be..
How very ungrateful of me when people are bring so kind!!!
It's knowing the conversation will inevitably be difficult that makes me not want to reply!

Only two days to get so much done before the daily radiotherapy begins....There's so much to do and I'm told I will become very tired...
So it will be a good idea to prioritise, and shrug off the self pity!

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Only two days to get so much done before the daily radiotherapy begins....There's so much to do and I'm told I will become very tired...
So it will be a good idea to prioritise, and shrug off the self pity!

Try to put yourself first for now Anne. You have no responsibilities other than to yourself .

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
Very best wishes for today RA. I hope things go as well as can be expected. I used to take a friend for her radiotherapy and she was tired when she returned home but rested for a couple of hours which helped greatly.She used to listen to audiobooks whilst resting. x

Amethyst59

Jul 3, 2017
Kent
Dear RA ...just remember a great big smile and your knees! We are all sending love....you are not going into this alone. x x x x

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
Holding your hand tight xxx

Attachments

• F9AB1F21-A98D-4DB3-B999-ECD3BFF9FA0F.jpeg
    F9AB1F21-A98D-4DB3-B999-ECD3BFF9FA0F.jpeg
    15.8 KB · Views: 321

Loopiloo

May 10, 2010
Scotland
Thinking of you today Anne..

If tiredness does kick in it is usually during the second half of a month of radiotherapy. Everyone is different though. A friend with breast cancer drove herself a distance from her village into the city hospital and back again. Me...well I fell asleep half way home an hour or so drive - with Henry at the wheel!

Wishing you all the best
Loo xxx