Life Insurance Issues

heyjude

Mar 27, 2008
Gladly, my mother in law (she was the worst case seen by carers at her nursing home ever) has passed now, she suffered terribly so her passing was a relief.

This passing seems to have left more problems in terms of her will and life insurance.

Whilst alive she was feisty and fought with her insurers to ensure agreed change to her life insurance policy as she saw this as her only legacy to her son (my husband)she was fanatical about payment of the policy but due to a company take over from Hill Samuels to Abbey Life the policy lapsed with no letters or reminders from the new company.

Has anyone any advice they can offer us or experience of this type of thing.

When your loved ones are ill these things are often the last thing on your mind but are crucial if big corporations are not to take advantage of policy holders in the longer term.

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Jo1958

Mar 31, 2010
Yorkshire
Heyjude, I am so sorry to hear about your MIL please accept my sincere condolences to you and your family.
I have no experience of life insurance companies but know that the paperwork that get's lost when company buyouts happen is very difficult and time consuming to sort out, I am so sorry you are having to go through this at this time.
Sending my kindest regards to you from Jo

Last edited:

Necion

Sep 26, 2010
Aberdeenshire,Scotland
Heyjude, my condolences to you and your family on the passing of your mother-in-law. As you say, it is a relief to see an end to the suffering, but a deep loss nevertheless.

Insurance companies. I won't even start on any issues I've had, but my advice - if the company have had an opportunity to resolve the issue, and have failed or refused, go to the Financial Ombudsman Service.
They require that some sort of proof of 'final response' from the company is required before they become involved, but you'll know when you have reached this stage.
If you require any company information, eg the date the companies merged/takeover, I'm pretty sure you will get this from the Financial Services Authority. I've found both these bodies to be very helpful and totally impartial. (hope this continues for me!)
Don't worry about involving solicitors, or having to present everything in perfect grammar etc, just be yourself, they are there for people like us, not just the Big Guys!

Put your complaint in writing, making sure you keep to the point, and to the facts, and state how YOU want this to be resolved, that is what your expected outcome is.
The FOS need this, a clear, consice picture of the issue, and how you want the issue resolved.

Hope this helps a wee bit. Take care all,
Love, Necion. x

Recent Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jackiejan