Life expectancy

jikkie

Aug 23, 2015
Is there any further information on this? The fact sheet has a bit of a gap in the ages... it gives a range for "younger" sufferers, and then for ones in their 90s.

My OH was diagnosed with AD in 2012, tho I am sure it started two or three years previously. He was 79 when diagnosed, and will be 82 next month. Mobility not the best, possibly because of Parkinsons, we dont know yet, and cognitive impairment the worst manifestation.

Sounds silly, but research and thinking ahead keeps me sane... though I have no idea what difference even a definite answer to this "how long is a piece of string" question would make!

patchworkamber

Jan 6, 2014
south east wales
Hi, I feel just the same! I am not sure about Alzheimer's as my OH has vascular which is usually swifter. I do spend time thinking about what 'stage' he is at and wonder how long we have to go. I also spend time thinking about The Future, and what I will do with my life after he is gone. I am 14 years younger. In many ways it almost feels like a terminal illness with a really vague end date. Would knowing when the end was due help? Maybe but it still boils down to living each day at a time and savouring the positives, that's what I tell myself anyway. Sorry not to be more help.

tuffydawn

Mar 30, 2015
my feelings match yours

my oh is only 67 ten years older than me and has had signs of dementia for four years my brain constantly goes over how long will this last has he entered another stage i long for some one to be able to tell me how long it will all last and i crave a life with out this sitting over me or made to feel a prisoner by it i understand how you feel

kennedy1948

Oct 7, 2013
Huntingdon
Hi, I feel just the same! I am not sure about Alzheimer's as my OH has vascular which is usually swifter. I do spend time thinking about what 'stage' he is at and wonder how long we have to go. I also spend time thinking about The Future, and what I will do with my life after he is gone. I am 14 years younger. In many ways it almost feels like a terminal illness with a really vague end date. Would knowing when the end was due help? Maybe but it still boils down to living each day at a time and savouring the positives, that's what I tell myself anyway. Sorry not to be more help.

My husband also has vascular and the struggle is to keep his BP under control as he also has an irregulr heartbeat. Sadly it is a terminal illness and we I was told that it is generally 5 years for VD. I have often wished that he had contracted cancer .........at least there would be some hope. In the meantime, like you I try to make sure that we make the best of the good days and go with the flow of the bad ones .

Countryboy

Mar 17, 2005
South West
Obviously a question that will give a definate answer because dement effects every person differently and so many factors why were so different , I have been living with my own dementia diagnoses for 16 years now and didn’t feel any different therefore continued in full employment unit I reached retirement age (65) and still going strong now at age 72+ , my dad lived 25 years with dementia and died of cancer so best of luck finding an answer to that question

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
OH diagnosed at 73, but had dementia for at least 2 years before that. He had vascular plus Alzheimer's. For the first few years no problem, then slow downturn with a few hiccups on the way! From Easter onwards he declined rapidly and died a few weeks ago at 82. I'm only 66, by the way, though I have really bad arthritis, which seems to have got worse as he got worse. So I guess stress related.

Chuggalug

Mar 24, 2014
Norfolk
OH diagnosed at 73, but had dementia for at least 2 years before that. He had vascular plus Alzheimer's. For the first few years no problem, then slow downturn with a few hiccups on the way! From Easter onwards he declined rapidly and died a few weeks ago at 82. I'm only 66, by the way, though I have really bad arthritis, which seems to have got worse as he got worse. So I guess stress related.

Oh, that is strange to read your arthritis got worse as your loved one declined, Spamar. I had exactly that happen to me. It was as if I was "allowed" to start falling apart when I no longer lived with the dementia every day. Now I might be back where we were before, will I get a remission in the arthritis? Probably not, I'll just have to be a bit more bl%%dy-minded about myself and get on with life as it comes.

Mrsbusy

Aug 15, 2015
I too have suffered from Rheumatoid arthritis for fifteen years, and stress Definetly makes it worse. I also fin because I have sjogrens, which is like an arthritis in the eyes but also very dry my eyes get so much more sore when I'm stressed. I was told that at one stage when my hands were stuck in a curled fingered fist, a herbalist told me it's because I'm clinging onto life and trying to cope. Strangely enough when my stress lessened my hands improved.

I too would like to know an approximation of when the nightmare ends, but in my case it wouldn't help probably as both my parents have different sorts and are at different stages, can't see any end anytime soon.

pamann

Oct 28, 2013
Kent
I was told by our consultant expect 10yrs with AD, my hubby has had it for 10yrs, he is now late stages, so about right he could last another year.

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
10 years.....

I know I shouldn't think this way, but I hope mums goes within 5 years as her money will run out, then she will need LA funding.....

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
I'm sure a lot of us think about this at some point. But as your final paragraph suggests it's a question that no-one can answer definitively. You can find many examples where the progression is quicker than expected just as some people progress much more slowly than would have been predicted.

Countryboy

Mar 17, 2005
South West
When I read the thread again I notice the mistakes I make sorry but it all looks ok to me at the time of writing it now is that me or my dementia

cragmaid

Oct 18, 2010
North East England
My Mum died earlier this year, just short of her 88th Birthday. She'd been diagnosed with mixed dementia for about 7 years and in a CH for 3 years. I would say ( with 20/20 hindsight) that she first started showing symptoms about 12/14 years ago.
I think that you have to take into consideration the general health of the patient. My Mum had various complaints including cancer, all of which contributed to her death. Her own mother died of Cancer aged 51 so I can't know what her family history would reveal.
You also have to look at the lifestyle and care that a Dementia patient "enjoys" as this can affect longevity too.

Cleverer people than me might be able to draw a clearer picture of the expected life span.

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
And the answer is ............................. nobody knows. John was diagnosed in early 2003, though he had symptoms for a couple of years prior to this, and died late December last year, so 12 years from diagnosis. He had Multiple Systems Atrophy, which meant as well as brain cells atrophying or dying, other organs did as well. One kidney simply disappeared a few years ago, and he also had COPD, Pulmonary Fibrosis, a replacement knee and back troubles.

Following a heart attack, he was then also diagnosed with Vascular Dementia, and I had a concertina file, with sections for each illness, and the various medical letters and appointments. When he went into the Care Home, he was the youngest resident, at 75, with the majority of the others in their 80s and 90s. He died 2 days before his 76th birthday - still the youngest resident.

He was not typical, because there is no such thing as a typical "patient". Tony writes on here with clarity and eloquence. John couldn't even write his own name. Some people with AD reach a plateau, like we did, after about 5 years, when he didn't get any worse, things stayed the same for a couple of years, and we were able to do things together, and I could leave him at home for a few hours, without any worries. Then we reached another stage, and I could no longer leave him.

My arthritis also got worse, and my blood pressure went through the roof. Like a lot of carers, I ignored my own health, because there was only me to be a carer. When I had an operation earlier this year, I doubled up on the blood pressure tablets for a few days to bring it down to 160, over something, the upper limit at which my op could go ahead.

Amazingly, this week my GP announced it was down to 123 over 87, and she said she often finds this with patients, following bereavement, where they have been carers. John had 3 UTIs, one after the other, and the last one proved fatal, but he'd suffered long enough, and I was relieved that his battle, and mine, was now over.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
My husband will be 85 in October. He was diagnosed with Alzheimer's in October 2001 but was showing signs for at least a year before that. He's still at home with me and although now barely talks at all still takes part in a lot of activities. He needs 24/7 support. We are much luckier than many.

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
My husband will be 85 in October. He was diagnosed with Alzheimer's in October 2001 but was showing signs for at least a year before that. He's still at home with me and although now barely talks at all still takes part in a lot of activities. He needs 24/7 support. We are much luckier than many.

Wow! That's amazing that he can still take part in lots of activities. That makes a huge difference to your lives.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Wow! That's amazing that he can still take part in lots of activities. That makes a huge difference to your lives.

We are really lucky. He's a wee star! I have to pace things and he sleeps a lot as well! I'm using the wheelchair more as that means we can still get around without him being exhausted. We had lunch out with family today and when we got home he slept from about 4pm to 6.30pm.

Casbow

Sep 3, 2013
Colchester
Jikkie

Is there any further information on this? The fact sheet has a bit of a gap in the ages... it gives a range for "younger" sufferers, and then for ones in their 90s.

My OH was diagnosed with AD in 2012, tho I am sure it started two or three years previously. He was 79 when diagnosed, and will be 82 next month. Mobility not the best, possibly because of Parkinsons, we dont know yet, and cognitive impairment the worst manifestation.

Sounds silly, but research and thinking ahead keeps me sane... though I have no idea what difference even a definite answer to this "how long is a piece of string" question would make!
My husband was diagnosed 7 years ago. What can he do now.? Use a knife and fork but not always in the correct hand. Feed himself.Clean his teeth if I get everything ready and guide him.
Drink what I give him. Walk.Cry. Get angry. Spend all his time moving everything about. So I spend half of mine looking for things.
Going in and out of the house sometimes from 9.00am to 10pm. just to keep checking the padlocked side gate and the locked front door.Telling me what he has to do because 'they' told him. Not eating his lunch or dinner because he was told not to.Asking who is in the picture of his mum and dad.Saying yes that picture is of your mum and dad. And no they are too far away to visit.Unable to swallow tablets. So they are crushed and mixed with yogurt. Doesn't know where the toilet is in our very small bungalow. So I am constantly taking him to the bathroom. Asks me if I have time to sit and talk to him.Well yes I try to talk to him but he cannot complete a sentence so I don't very often know what to say to him. I hold his hand and cuddle him as often as I can.So no I don't know how long this will go on. For his sake not much longer. He says he is going mad. Says he wants to to go jump in the river. Give him a knife. After 50 years of marriage, a good and happy marriage, we are both in misery. I hope it won't be for much longer for him. He is in a kind of hell. And I am in there with him. Sorry but we don't know how long. About 10 years on average.xx

pamann

Oct 28, 2013
Kent
Hello casbow l feel for you it sounds like my hubby, it is so hard for us to care for them, we have been married 51yrs, it is heartbreaking

tigerqueen

Mar 11, 2014
Essex
Dear Casbow
How very sad, I send you my love.

We are only 4 years down the line but I miss the husband I married. Xx