Libster

Libster

Jan 23, 2022
Reading all of your posts has helped me at a crisis point with my mum.She is 101 today but suffering with undiagnosed dementia.Things are so bad that yesterday when her social worker rang me U just broke down in tears.She lives in what is supposed to be sheltered housing but there is no warden on site.I have been trying to get her into a council care home for a year.She doesn't know where she is, is permanently terrified,paranoid, delusional and hallucinates.She lives in a first floor flat with 15 stairs and somehow has escaped twice.She has carers 4 times a day but the less said about that the better.Over the last 3 weeks things have become more than I can cope with.It is like bashing your head against a brick wall to get any action.

Violet Jane

Aug 23, 2021
Is there any reason that you’re only considering Council run care homes? Or do you mean that you are waiting for the local authority to agree to fund your mother’s placement in a care home?

I can see why you’re upset. What did the social worker say? Is she aware that your mother has dementia even though it hasn’t been diagnosed?

DreamsAreReal

Oct 17, 2015
Reading all of your posts has helped me at a crisis point with my mum.She is 101 today but suffering with undiagnosed dementia.Things are so bad that yesterday when her social worker rang me U just broke down in tears.She lives in what is supposed to be sheltered housing but there is no warden on site.I have been trying to get her into a council care home for a year.She doesn't know where she is, is permanently terrified,paranoid, delusional and hallucinates.She lives in a first floor flat with 15 stairs and somehow has escaped twice.She has carers 4 times a day but the less said about that the better.Over the last 3 weeks things have become more than I can cope with.It is like bashing your head against a brick wall to get any action.
Oh your poor mum. I don’t have direct experience of this myself, but I know several people who’ve either written or visited their MP in surgery and they’ve put a rocket up the council’s backside. It’s worth a try if you’ve exhausted all other avenues.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
Hello @Libster
A warm welcome to DTP

Your poor mum, no wonder you are so worried and upset

Did the social worker make no response to your tears! ...whether or not your mum has dementia, she has a right to have her care needs addressed

Contact her again, even ask to speak to her manager ... ask first for an email contact address ... but have a script ready so you say all you need to ... Outline your concerns ie 4 care visits not enough / no onsite warden to respond to situations / the dangerous, potentially lethal, steps / your mum wandering (esp if this has been at night) / your mum's mental state / your concerns over the last few weeks ... tell them that all this makes your mum a 'vulnerable adult' who is 'at risk of harm' eg the steps, wandering, and remind them the the Local Authority has the 'duty of care' to ensure that she receives the level of care she needs to be safe, indeed you believe that this is becoming a 'safeguarding issue' as she needs 24 hour supervision in residential care ... the phrases in '' should get their attention

Follow up with an email reiterating everything that was said so you begin a 'paper trail' to refer back to

Also contact your mum's GP and give them a full picture of her situation, as there may be meds to help her settle

maybe call the Support Line to chat with an advisor in real time ... they are approachable and knowledgeable

and do keep posting, sharing experiences helps