LGBT Dementia Experience

Tomike

May 22, 2016
I notice a number of posts concerning LGBT experienced seem to have dried up a bit recently. I'm new and care for my partner who, still awaiting a final formal diagnosis, has a lot of cognitive problems. It would be nice to chat with other carers about their experiences, concerns and blow off a bit of steam.

Sent from Mike

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hi Tomick Im not in a LGBT relationship, but I wanted to welcome you to Talking Point.

Most of the problems with dementia are not related to your orientation, so it may be that people in LGBT relationships are posting on the "I care for someone with dementia" section rather than here. Its not always easy to work out posters gender - and its usually not relevant anyway!
If you have got concerns or want to talk about a particular problem do say what this is and Im sure someone will know the answer. There are also long threads started by people who are caring for someone and you would be welcome to join in any of those. You may find that some topics resonate with you.

Do please keep posting.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Welcome from me too. It can be so good to blow off a bit of steam. TP is the place to do that - wherever you decide to post.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Hi Tomike, welcome to TP
I'm with everyone else, just post away on here. Orientation, religion, colour or anything else really don't matter, a loved one is a loved one be it Dorothy or Dave the issues we face are all the same.
I have a number of gay friends I'm going out for a pint with one tonight like we've been doing for the last 30 years or more, sure gay related issues may crop up but so will lots of other things. We both cared for our mothers in their last few years and the bonding we got from sharing the same sad experience and eventual loss was a shared one, things like that aren't affected by orientation.
Only 20% of the members on here are men and I've no idea what percentage are gay but I guess there isn't a big overlap on the venn diagram.
I'd encourage you to post on here and take advice from anyone, be they gay or straight male or female, young or old, black or white. Coping with AZ is a problem and it's much easier when you can share with people who understand.
K

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LoriH61