LFTs

Kay111

Sep 19, 2019
Hello, I was wondering if anyone had any updated news about whether lateral flow tests would be made available to carers after 1st April?

I go in to help my dad 4 times a week and test twice a week at the moment because I've got to take public transport for an hour each way and that means I can't be as cautious as I'd like.

Thank you!

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Current government statement is

From 1 April, there will be some limited ongoing free testing:

a. Limited symptomatic testing available for a small number of at-risk groups - the Government will set out further details on which groups will be eligible.

b. Free symptomatic testing will remain available to social care staff

Note it refers to symptomatic testing.

Kay111

Sep 19, 2019
Thank you. That's disappointing, I was hoping they would continue LFTs in some limited capacity.

Dutchman

May 26, 2017
Devon, Totnes
Thank you. That's disappointing, I was hoping they would continue LFTs in some limited capacity.
I’m visiting my wife at least 3 times a week and I’m designated as a key visitor. If I’m not allowed continued free tests then the cost of buying one ( approximately £12 a week) is going to make it financially difficult for me to continue going as often as I do. That is so unfair and can’t be right. This is a tax on carers. To restrict my visits is inhuman and cruel

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
I’m visiting my wife at least 3 times a week and I’m designated as a key visitor. If I’m not allowed continued free tests then the cost of buying one ( approximately £12 a week) is going to make it financially difficult for me to continue going as often as I do. That is so unfair and can’t be right. This is a tax on carers. To restrict my visits is inhuman and cruel
Does your wife's care home not provide them, Dutchman ? My partner's nursing home has kits at reception.

Peony21

Dec 27, 2021
I don't know if I'm allowed to name specific companies on this site but I found a UK medical supplier online who sell LFTs at £1 each and good price on masks and various products. Free shipping is on orders over £49+Vat, but if you can afford to spend that upfront to stock up for multiple visits, or club together with a few visitors, it's the best deal I've seen.

It really seems crazy and inhumane that CH visitors have to pay for tests. So many people will have to limit crucial time with vulnerable loved ones. As always, those on low incomes/pensions or benefits will suffer the most. Not to mention the PWDs whose visits reduce.

Hoping the petition gets somewhere. Thanks for sharing it here.

Dutchman

May 26, 2017
Devon, Totnes
I don't know if I'm allowed to name specific companies on this site but I found a UK medical supplier online who sell LFTs at £1 each and good price on masks and various products. Free shipping is on orders over £49+Vat, but if you can afford to spend that upfront to stock up for multiple visits, or club together with a few visitors, it's the best deal I've seen.

It really seems crazy and inhumane that CH visitors have to pay for tests. So many people will have to limit crucial time with vulnerable loved ones. As always, those on low incomes/pensions or benefits will suffer the most. Not to mention the PWDs whose visits reduce.

Hoping the petition gets somewhere. Thanks for sharing it here.
Please details the company. Thanks

Peony21

Dec 27, 2021
Please details the company. Thanks
Hi @Dutchman, and anyone else who's interested in this. Here's the link to the LFTs page.

They also sell masks, incontinence products and pretty much all medical and care supplies.

This is the first time I've ordered from them, so can't comment on how good they are but I'll post an update when my order of tests and masks arrives.

Peony21

Dec 27, 2021
Re my link to Medisave, I've just looked and delivery for purchases under £49 for LFTs is £2.99.

Hope all this helps everyone.