Letter to GP

madasaflake

Aug 14, 2013
Hello
The family want to write to mums GP to detail some of the things we are becoming concerned about as she is showing worrying signs of the early stages. She has talked to the doctor twice over the past couple of years about her memory etc at the encouragement of us but says he has told her she's fine. She also said he had referred her for some sort of brain scan but she has never had one and we think she has had the appointment through and cancelled it. She is very much in denial as is her husband but over the past few weeks things have taken a different turn and she has now accused me - her daughter in law of 36 years - of saying something I never said and become very distant. We have always been close as they just live nearby and although I'm not taking it personally I feel very sad about it. If we write the letter and can persuade her to go back and see him will he tell her we have written as I think that will make things so much worse. The surgery told me he can't call her in based on what we say but if she goes on her own he will take it on board. Thanks.

chris53

Nov 9, 2009
London
Posted this to you in the "welcome new members" section a short while ago:) also in writing to the GP request that he/ she calls her in for a check up(so it sounds like mum in law will be helping the doctor!) please note your letter should be treated in the most strict confidence as it is you giving information and not asking it, however please state that mum in law must not know the family have written, therefore doc should be able to consult without her smelling a rat.good luck,chris x

Hi madasflake, and a warm welcome to Talking Point,so sorry your mum in law may have dementia, understanding and support is here for you and your family whenever needed, may I suggest that you and your husband keep a diary on anything and everything that mum seems to be doing in a different way and when you feel the time is right present these findings to her GP and see what help can be given, although he/she will not discuss her problems with you or your husband. If you can get mum to fill in a carers sheet at her doctors, giving permission to discuss any current illnesses and having you and hubby down as carers, it will be a start should you have a battle in the beginning, I was so glad this was put in place with both my mum who has Alzheimer's and my mum in law who now is in the grips of vascular dementia, LONG before this illness started to show.
Please keep posting, best wishes - Chris

madasaflake

Aug 14, 2013
Posted this to you in the "welcome new members" section a short while ago:) also in writing to the GP request that he/ she calls her in for a check up(so it sounds like mum in law will be helping the doctor!) please note your letter should be treated in the most strict confidence as it is you giving information and not asking it, however please state that mum in law must not know the family have written, therefore doc should be able to consult without her smelling a rat.good luck,chris x

Hi madasflake, and a warm welcome to Talking Point,so sorry your mum in law may have dementia, understanding and support is here for you and your family whenever needed, may I suggest that you and your husband keep a diary on anything and everything that mum seems to be doing in a different way and when you feel the time is right present these findings to her GP and see what help can be given, although he/she will not discuss her problems with you or your husband. If you can get mum to fill in a carers sheet at her doctors, giving permission to discuss any current illnesses and having you and hubby down as carers, it will be a start should you have a battle in the beginning, I was so glad this was put in place with both my mum who has Alzheimer's and my mum in law who now is in the grips of vascular dementia, LONG before this illness started to show.
Please keep posting, best wishes - Chris

Hi Chris
Thank you for the very quick response and the good advice. I will do as you suggest and also speak to other members of the family so we can get a good all round picture. The surgery told me that the doctor would not call her in based on our letter but I feel we ought to at least get things on record. As for us being carers, she has a husband so I think that would be a struggle but I will bear it in mind. Thanks again.

chris53

Nov 9, 2009
London
You are very welcome:) we had to do this "secret service" lark for both the "mums" just so it WOULD be on record if or as and when things got a bit difficult! with my own mum, I had to do this behind my late fathers back, as he was convinced her forgetfulness was "just" old age:eek:
Take care and look forward to you posting again
Chris x