Letter of Authorisation

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
My OH is in respite at the moment and there are ongoing problems with blood tests and medication.
I really need the GP to tell me what is going on, but they wont because of patient confidentiality. Ive got to get OH to write a letter of authorisation to allow them to talk to me.

I tried to get him to do this about 6 months ago and her refused. Im going to try and print out a letter for him to sign, but dont know how to word it. It needs to be pretty formal, or Im sure he wont buy it, but if it looks "official" I might just manage it. I asked the GP surgery if they had forms to fill in, but they dont. Ive tried googling it, but Im just confused. Has anyone else done this and what was the wording?

CardiffGirlInEssex

Oct 6, 2018
My OH is in respite at the moment and there are ongoing problems with blood tests and medication.
I really need the GP to tell me what is going on, but they wont because of patient confidentiality. Ive got to get OH to write a letter of authorisation to allow them to talk to me.

I tried to get him to do this about 6 months ago and her refused. Im going to try and print out a letter for him to sign, but dont know how to word it. It needs to be pretty formal, or Im sure he wont buy it, but if it looks "official" I might just manage it. I asked the GP surgery if they had forms to fill in, but they dont. Ive tried googling it, but Im just confused. Has anyone else done this and what was the wording?
Found this on Google, any help?? https://www.centralsurgery-barton.co.uk/mf.ashx?ID=5f9a784b-138a-4ae1-99cb-1a4ef80be88c

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Hi @canary. My dad gave permission to be informed of all his medical needs and treatments and as far as I remember his GP just asked him if he agreed to this and then recorded in his notes that I was the go to person. I don’t remember dad even having to sign something but I expect he did. It was all done very low key.

I see @CardiffGirlInEssex has sent you a link to an official looking form but was was going to suggest that failing this perhaps something simply worded on a compliments slip size paper might work.

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
Same with my dad, his GP asked dad if he could talk to me and dad said yes and from then on I have been included in everything. Dad never signed anything. The only time I was asked if I had POA was when the GP came round and filled in dads DNAR

Hope you get it sorted out @canary

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hi @canary
the linked format certainly looks official
I just wonder whether it may be best to not include some of the options so your OH isn't able to limit the permission eg to only respite dates ... leaving the closing will allow him to think he can revoke at any time

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Thats almost identical to the one I had cobbled together @nitram
Great minds and all that :) At least I feel more confident that it is a reasonable thing to get him to sign. I thought I would ask the care home manager to witness it - assuming that OH is willing to sign, that is

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
I fully appreciate that patient confidentiality is important, but you'd think where dementia or other mental incapacity exists there would be some leeway and common sense would be applied.

As if you haven't got enough to do! And surely, sharing the info and having your very important input (who else knows your OH's long and complicated history better than you?) is simply acting in your OH's Best Interests.

Fingers crossed he signs your letter and this ridiculous situation is sorted out soon. (I am cross on your behalf!)

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
you'd think where dementia or other mental incapacity exists there would be some leeway and common sense would be applied.

Leeway does exist

From GMC Document - Confidentiality: good practice in handling patient information

44 You may disclose personal information if it is of overall benefit to a patient who lacks the capacity to consent.
When making the decision about whether to disclose information about a patient who lacks capacity to consent, you must:
a make the care of the patient your first concern
b respect the patient’s dignity and privacy
c support and encourage the patient to be involved, as far as they want and are able, in decisions about disclosure of their personal information.

https://www.cumbria.gov.uk/eLibrary/Content/Internet/537/6683/6687/17169/42977112422.pdf

Read more to get full context

Banjomansmate

Jan 13, 2019
Dorset
Despite him signing H & W LPA and them having seen & taken copy of it, the GP, social worker and home care firm boss all asked The Banjoman if he was happy for them to disclose information to me. I suppose it was only polite but I wondered what the point of it all was, surely that’s what the blasted thing was for in the first place!

RosettaT

Sep 9, 2018
Mid Lincs
We were asked years ago by our surgery if we would like to have our medical information disclosed to each other and we both said yes and signed the appropriate paperwork. I've not heard of anyone else doing this so I wonder if it was a local surgery initiative.

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
Oh @canary im so sorry that you have this on top of everything
Just catching up with all you lovely folks on TP. it really is relentless the issues in trying to care
Sending ((((((((((hugs))))))))))

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
I think I said this on my other thread, but for completeness sake I will report that he signed it like a little lamb.
I think the way I had got the form looking "official" and told him that "they" wanted him to sign it or "they" wouldnt tell me what was going on, helped. I have registered it at the GP and now I will never refer to it again, so he doesnt have the chance to change his mind!

Tea and. toast

May 8, 2019
I am glad you have sorted the authorization letter Canary. I was in a similar situation with Dad. Like Duggies-girl the GP used to ask Dad over the phone if Dad would give permission for the GP to speak to me which Dad had no problem with.

Then one day the GP rang. I told the GP Dad was in bed poorly after that the GP asked me to do a letter with Dad and told me what to put in the letter. I think I covered all bases. I didn't specify any dates. Dad read the letter and signed it no problem. I have POA now. Two consultants have asked if I have POA but they haven't seen the documents. I did offer to show the documents to the Consultant at the Memory clinic last year, as I had them with me but they said it was ok.

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
I think I said this on my other thread, but for completeness sake I will report that he signed it like a little lamb.
I think the way I had got the form looking "official" and told him that "they" wanted him to sign it or "they" wouldnt tell me what was going on, helped. I have registered it at the GP and now I will never refer to it again, so he doesnt have the chance to change his mind!
Yay!
One tick in the box

Now you’ve got that sorted ... what’s next on the list ?
Feet up I hope! (((((((hugs)))))))