Let's Think Of Care Homes As Well As The NHS

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Hello Everyone.

No doubt some of you would have heard the news about a second lockdown to avoid overwhelming the NHS but let's think care homes. I wanted to shout at the TV let's look after care homes and the carers. Dad's former care home was appealing for protective clothing on Facebook I think this is a disgrace.

Thinking about my friends on this forum

MaNaAk

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
When I was out earlier I mentioned two metres twice to people who got too close so this is a wake up call but the rest of us will have to suffer because of people ignoring social distancing.

MaNaAk

maryjoan

Mar 25, 2017
South of the Border
My partner is currently in a care home for respite - he is meant to move to supported living on 11th November - I have searched through the lockdown rules, and can't see what the situation would now be - I will be ringing care home on Monday, as I think the only answer is to bring him home before the lock down starts as I cannot afford the extra fees for 4 more weeks in the care home....... has any one any idea whether transfers like this between care homes and supported living will still be allowed?

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
he is meant to move to supported living on 11th November - I have searched through the lockdown rules, and can't see what the situation would now be

It will depend on the set up, if he can be defined as a single household you could form a support bubble with your household and visit him.

Ask the management, if he has a separate entrance it may strengthen your case although a single person living in a flat accessed via communal areas can form a bubble.

Last edited:

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
I think the only answer is to bring him home before the lock down starts as I cannot afford the extra fees for 4 more weeks in the care home.......

I don't know the answer to the transfer question but I thought from an earlier thread that the local authority will be paying for the sheltered housing? If so, and your OH needs to stay in the home for longer than palnned due to lockdown, then surely it will be for the local authority to fund this, not you? If you take him out of the home before lockdown starts then there's no telling how long it would be before he was placed in sheltered housing as there's no guarantee that lockdown will end at the end of the 4 weeks. A move back home will not be in your OH's or your best interests so speak to the social worker as well as the care home as the fees (after the respite period has ended) are not your responsibility.

maryjoan

Mar 25, 2017
South of the Border
I don't know the answer to the transfer question but I thought from an earlier thread that the local authority will be paying for the sheltered housing? If so, and your OH needs to stay in the home for longer than palnned due to lockdown, then surely it will be for the local authority to fund this, not you? If you take him out of the home before lockdown starts then there's no telling how long it would be before he was placed in sheltered housing as there's no guarantee that lockdown will end at the end of the 4 weeks. A move back home will not be in your OH's or your best interests so speak to the social worker as well as the care home as the fees (after the respite period has ended) are not your responsibility.
The respite has been paid for by our Direct payments but it was proposed that we can fund the supported housing ourselves, as it is doable. I will have to make some urgent phone calls on Monday morning and see what can be done - it's such a worry.... but thank you - I take your point completely that it is not in our best interest for OH to return home.... absolutely. thank you - I had not thought of that.....