Legal problems

platform11

May 3, 2021
I am my husbands LPA.
I have had to deal with winding up his solicitors business over the last six years. No end to the mistakes he made up to some fifteen years prior to his diagnosis. Sadly including a Trust fund he was sole Trustee of.
Is there any one within the forum that can advise me what to do about his possible personal debt to the trusts, and as his LPA am I responsible for his debts?

Many thanks,
platform 11

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hello @platform11
a warm welcome to DTP
what a tricky situation for you, thank goodness there is an LPA in place

as Attorney you are responsible for managing your husband's financial affairs but you yourself are not liable for his debts
yours is a very specific situation and though members here can offer suggestions from their experience, they can't offer advice .... you'd be wise to get proper legal and financial advice
maybe something here might help

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello @platform11

I`m so sorry you have been left with this to attend to. It is too complicated for lay people to be sure of so please contact Dementia Connect where I`m sure you will either be given the correct advice or directed to someone who can.

platform11

May 3, 2021
Many thanks Granny G and Shedrech for the direction & info all help is welcome. Will keep you updated as to what happens

Phil2020

Oct 11, 2020
I am my husbands LPA.
I have had to deal with winding up his solicitors business over the last six years. No end to the mistakes he made up to some fifteen years prior to his diagnosis. Sadly including a Trust fund he was sole Trustee of.
Is there any one within the forum that can advise me what to do about his possible personal debt to the trusts, and as his LPA am I responsible for his debts?

Many thanks,
platform 11

As your husband was a solicitor might it be worth contacting the Law Society of England and Wales - or Scottish, or NI equivalents, depending on which authorised your husband - if the relevant authority is not already involved? They will have an interest in - and knowledge of - winding down the business and may be able to point you in the right direction on the other matters.

Lemondrizzle

Aug 26, 2018
Just one thing as well as the excellent advice above. To keep his practising certificate he must have had indemnity insurance. Is this a possible avenue to investigate. As a long shot, is there another local solicitor he was friendly with who might give some free assistance? I recall my former employer helping the wife of a previously local solicitor who simply disappeared, leaving a right mess behind him.