Leaving the door open

Gill 1

Aug 26, 2011
My mum has recently started leaving her front door open, but wide open, she sometimes is in the house or she has gone out.

Also she can sleep a lot, if she didn't have carers I don't think she would get up as she has concept of time, is this normal for Alzheimer suffers?

She also struggles to see dark colours especially black is this also normal?

Will appreciate any advice

tomkitten16

Sep 24, 2012
merseyside
hi My Mum used to leave the front door open and she would go out middle of the night /during the day completely unaware ;Often neighbours would keep an eye out for her and close the door for her;she began not knowing whether it was day or night; it must have been so distressing for and sometimes when she went out ,she would forget where she lived and a neighbour would return her safely home.My Mum has dementia mixed with alzheimers x

irishmanc

Jan 14, 2015
Manchester
Yes, it's totally normal. Dad used to leave the door open all the time and then wander off. If he saw a house with a red car in the driveway, he would assume it was his and try to get in. Luckily, the neighbours were very understanding and would bring him home but it was very distressing for Mum.
Being confused about time is also very normal for this condition - Dad used to ask for his breakfast at 10pm. I know it's distressing to deal with and knowing that others have experienced it is sometimes of little comfort but try to cope with it one step at a time, if you can and don't be too hard on yourself.