Leaving on a jet plane

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
That sounds like a wonderful outing @AwayWithTheFairies , My mum used to like outings too. I couldnt take her out every day and it wouldnt have been a good idea as mum was always very tired and confused the day after, but I did as often as I could. Sometimes even the little things like taking her to the park and feeding the ducks, or walking along the prom by the sea and having an ice cream was enough.

AwayWithTheFairies

Apr 21, 2021
@margherita yes I only like the dog really! Everyone else is a pain to be frank. She has been stressed without me at home with her but my DH and daughter still at home look after her and the other daughter (actual owner) is coming home for a few weeks from uni so she should be well loved.

I took mum to a podiatrist, my new strategy of blaming the GP for referring her worked I think, though she had ALOT of questions! I didn’t tell her that I had requested the referral, or that we were going until an hour beforehand! There wasn’t much wrong, just a loose big toenail that she let the doctor trim it and the rest off (I would never have got near it and I would have hurt her which he did not), he was a little “why? Is she here” but played along well especially with my tales of going on a trip which in fact we are, but I will be pushing her in a wheelchair during most of the trip probably! I feel a little silly taking her to a podiatrist to have nails trimmed, but on the other hand yesterday she was wincing in a shop and admitted that it was the nail. I was worried she would need it surgically removed or that it could have got caught on something and been very painful. At least I know it’s ok now.

We then went to an expensive grocery store and it went much better than the crowded big one. Worth it! I’m feeling a little calmer now and have made more progress getting phones to work and money and passwords set up and reducing the deluge of paper mail. I am going to have to get everything forwarded to my aunt in USA and have her open anything that looks important since they will only hold mail for one month and we are going away for at least 3. The other issue is extracting enough medication from the GP/pharmacy for an extra 3 months. It’s really ordinary cheap statin and blood thinner but you’d think it was heroin. I’m thinking of changing it to mail order and having it sent to my aunt to send on to us.

DH very stressed about money back in the UK, our house purchase is costing a lot and going very slow between Land Registry searches being backlogged- if it takes over the end of the month we will have to pay an extra £20K in stamp duty. That comes off our budget for making it habitable, it needs a lotta work and you can’t get cement, tiles etc for love nor money due to our old friend Mr Pandemic. Some of this extra cost and rush is due to having mum move in with us, so I said she can help us (and would willingly) by paying rent etc. but we have to be prepared that if she ends up in care for years and years and uses up all her assets, we will have to pay it back. Also once she accepts (or it becomes a fact) that she needs to stay in the same country with us, I can come back and sort out her house for renting so it will give a small income as well. He understands that and is fine with that so I think felt a bit better.

AwayWithTheFairies

Apr 21, 2021
Phwoar! It was over 90 yesterday. That’s Midwest USA for you. I took mum to the farmer’s market, just for an outing. We toddled around, bought some coffee to keep me awake (it’s sorting out years of papers to be done now, I can’t leave them in the house while we are gone-fear of identity theft, account numbers, old passports on and on, dad still on accounts and he died 5 years ago so phoning to do. The WORST is finding cryptic notes she made, one undated but maybe circa 2018 or ‘19, mum clearly trying to work out how to write a check for $30K to a scammer followed by a number for the police!!!,-such a chore!) . Then we sat in the air conditioned cafe and had a cold drink, looking out at the Mississippi, and mum suddenly came up with so many old memories mostly for the 1960’s when I was a baby and small child.

Bit of a jarring note when she referred to me in the third person - for the first time.

:confused:

starryuk

Nov 8, 2012
I think we are all enjoying reading your 'day in the life of...' account. You write so well and with such a positive outlook. Thank you for sharing ...as they say.
Yes, it is rather disconcerting when first you seem to be someone else to your mum. But it must have been interesting to hear all about yourself as a baby! It never bothered me to be introduced as 'my mother' or 'my sister' by my mum and in fact it rather amused me. Luckily I was always a relative of some kind.
You must be exhausted with the heat, the caring and everything you are getting organised. Hopefully your plans of leaving on 17th are still on track and you can relax a bit when you get back to UK.

Good luck and fingers crossed that it all goes smoothly for you both. :)