Learning bad habits in hospital....

keegan2

Jan 11, 2015
Hubby been hospital for over a week now and he has picked up some bad habits. Firstly they have him pads so he is doing his business in them not in toilet. Secondly has taken to wandering the ward all night and refusing to lie in bed. Cannot wait for him to come home hopefully I will be able to retrain him back to the way things were pre hospital admission. Just waiting for them to discharge once they are happy new medicine for seizure are not having an adverse effect on him....

esmeralda

Nov 27, 2014
Devon
Hope he is better and home soon, Keegan. It's so important to keep pwd in a routine isn't it. One reason i don't want my husband to go into respite because I know it would mess everything up. I know I'm fortunate to be able to manage at the moment because I don't have to deal with wandering and difficult behaviour.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
It makes me so mad when I hear that nurses put patients in inco pads to have an easier life. So many people come out of hospital incontinent, and this is the reason. I do hope you can get him back to how he was but I would also throw a wobbler on the ward and say that this isn't acceptable. If he is still able to get to the toilet, they should be helping him do this.

sleepless

Feb 19, 2010
The Sweet North
It makes me so mad when I hear that nurses put patients in inco pads to have an easier life. So many people come out of hospital incontinent, and this is the reason. I do hope you can get him back to how he was but I would also throw a wobbler on the ward and say that this isn't acceptable. If he is still able to get to the toilet, they should be helping him do this.

This happened when my husband was in hospital recently. I really had to pester, and be present, in order for him to be put on a commode. I wasn't able to be there all the time, though I went in every day, and he came home seemingly bowel incontinent.
A regular routine here of sitting on the commode has restored things, and he no longer soils his pads.
Just another example of those with dementia not being given the same level of care and dignity as everyone else I'm afraid. It took days to wash away the smell of body odour from his armpits, though I was told he was washed thoroughly each morning.

keegan2

Jan 11, 2015

I feel as though I am being a pest by asking them to put him on toilet, as they keep telling me how short staffed thery are (which they definately are). When I go up to see him the first thing I do is take him to the toilet then give him a thorough wash regardless of what they say they have done. He could have been out since Tuesday if only there was a neurologist available to see him and now he is being kept in because the new medication was started on Friday night and no doctor over weekend to sign him off. I have brought pads and protection for the bed this week as I don't know what I am going to be dealing with. Will take time off work when he gets back to start the hard work ( he has been an angel in hospital not given any trouble, just pacing up and down the ward minding his own business so proud of him)

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
Hi keegan2
amongst all the not so good stuff, I'm so glad to read this
he has been an angel in hospital not given any trouble, just pacing up and down the ward minding his own business so proud of him
I really hope this bodes well for a more settled time when he's home
best wishes :)

Casbow

Sep 3, 2013
Colchester
Learning bad habits in hospital

The subject of this post makes me feel so sad. I worked in a hospital in 1965ish. In those days there were no such thing as incontinence pants. What we had then was incontinence sheets. These were a kind of paper with a plastic?or something similar, To stop any liquid getting through to the bed linen. We would change these when neccessary
but they were only for people who couldn't even ask for a bedpan. The rest of the patients were given bedpans or commodes or taken to the toilet if they couldn't manage on their own.Many years later I worked in a care home. Most residents could either get to their on-suite toilet or ring for a commode. The others had incontinence pants. These were only changed about 5 or 6 times a day. This was because of the cost and also the harm to the invironment. But good care assistants would always change residents that were obviously uncomfortable or soiled. Now today!!! I'ts a whole new way of trying to deal with all the same problems. The biggest of these being not enough staff. No matter how often the staff try they cannot be everywhere at once. On top of all that everything they do or give to a patient/resident is supposed to be written done. They simply cannot do it.I loved my job then. Would not do it now. Love xxx

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
The subject of this post makes me feel so sad. I worked in a hospital in 1965ish. In those days there were no such thing as incontinence pants. What we had then was incontinence sheets. These were a kind of paper with a plastic?or something similar, To stop any liquid getting through to the bed linen. We would change these when neccessary
but they were only for people who couldn't even ask for a bedpan. The rest of the patients were given bedpans or commodes or taken to the toilet if they couldn't manage on their own.Many years later I worked in a care home. Most residents could either get to their on-suite toilet or ring for a commode. The others had incontinence pants. These were only changed about 5 or 6 times a day. This was because of the cost and also the harm to the invironment. But good care assistants would always change residents that were obviously uncomfortable or soiled. Now today!!! I'ts a whole new way of trying to deal with all the same problems. The biggest of these being not enough staff. No matter how often the staff try they cannot be everywhere at once. On top of all that everything they do or give to a patient/resident is supposed to be written done. They simply cannot do it.I loved my job then. Would not do it now. Love xxx

I agree, that takes up so much time. And it's hardly the sort of job that attracts people who want to receive a salary that they can live on, hence the huge turnover in staff, and always the need for more staff. xxx

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
I agree with so many of the comments.

This is scandalous. Sadly. it appears to be a common problem. No wonder so many people dread themselves or their loved ones having to go into hospital.

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol

I got annoyed with that last time OH was in hospital, and leaving wet nightclothes by the bed as nobody had time to clear up on the night shift. Wards which are better staffed have less problems. The good news was that OH's incontinence did get better over time with the help from preventative Antibiotics.