Learning and Support

xcheqr

Dec 5, 2018
Hampshire
Hello!

I'm in my 30's living in Hampshire and caring full time for both my father who has mobility issues and my mother who has Alzheimer's. What prompted me to sign up was my mother's recent deterioration, which has gotten to a point where im a bit out of my depth, so i am looking to educate myself as much as possible to make her comfortable. My mother has very vivid hallucinations, mostly at night and I would like to know if there is anything I can do to help ground her into reality or help her feel safe. She also wanders which means I have to be vigilant 24 hours a day. Obviously this is exhausting and if someone could point me in the right direction of tips or support i would greatly appreciate it. My mother is currently on memantine and risperidone. Putting either of them in a care facility is impossible for me financially and I don't think I could do it if it was.

Warm Regards

xcheqr

edit: I think I posted in the wrong place, so I am reposting here.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hi @xcheqr
welcome to TP
it's a good idea to start your own thread
you sound to have a lot to cope with, not getting a decent night's sleep makes everything harder - I appreciate you and your dad want to have your mum at home but there are 3 of you to consider and you need to look to your own health and welfare to be able to continue to provide care

I wonder whether you have contacted your Local Authority Adult Services to arrange an assessment of both your parents' care needs, as they have a right to this - a care package should then be put together which might include home care visits, time at a day care centre, respite and a visit by an OT to the house to suggest aida and adaptions
DO NOT give any info out about your parents' finances - a financial assessment should follow that for care needs

you are also entitled to a carer's assessment

apply for Attendance Allowance if that's not already in place
https://www.gov.uk/attendance-allowance

here's a link to the main AS site's pages re paying for care
https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/get-support/legal-financial/who-pays-care

it may be that new meds or a tweak of her meds may help your mum, so have a chat with her GP

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhubarb1989