Leaning to one side, or leaning more forward...

Hi this is my first post... I look after my 78 yr old mum who has dementia... she is a very fit person physically, walking around 2/3 miles a day most days, non smoker, on no medication with no other medical conditions... Just yesterday I went over to my mums house as normal and I got a shock... mum was leaning to one side. As mums mood goes from high/happy go lucky to very low and aggressive and jokes about with me I thought she was playing games with me but NOPE, she wasn't, she was difintely leaning to one side.... is this something that happens or should I contact her GP, she is not in any pain and doesn't realise she is doing it.... anyone else had this? TIA x

henfenywfach

May 23, 2013
rct
Hi this is my first post... I look after my 78 yr old mum who has dementia... she is a very fit person physically, walking around 2/3 miles a day most days, non smoker, on no medication with no other medical conditions... Just yesterday I went over to my mums house as normal and I got a shock... mum was leaning to one side. As mums mood goes from high/happy go lucky to very low and aggressive and jokes about with me I thought she was playing games with me but NOPE, she wasn't, she was difintely leaning to one side.... is this something that happens or should I contact her GP, she is not in any pain and doesn't realise she is doing it.... anyone else had this? TIA x

Hi!
Yes! I see this too. My dad has dlb dementia with lewybodies and the gp suspects he might have had or be having tias. Having said that with dlb blood pressure can drop suddenly and he goes down on one side . So in my dads case theres the going to one side that hed end on the floor if i dont intervene and pretty much most days he goes to the side. Its always worth speaking to gp anyway..i showed him in the mirror..but with visual perceprions affected he wouldnt observe properly or recall afterwards..
Sometimes it hard to tell whether theyre going to fall sideways..so we have to be quick on our toes.

Best wishes

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Talking Point mobile app

Amy in the US

Feb 28, 2015
USA
Daisy, welcome to TP. There's lots of good advice on here.

I'm not an expert, and haven't observed the "leaning" you are talking about, but if you've noticed a sudden, clear change then I would get it checked out with your mother's doctor, just to be on the safe side.

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
I experience this with Sue. It comes and goes. Typically, she will lean one way for a few days. Then she might have a straight day or two then she could start leaning the other way.

Sometimes she will lean backwards or forwards and this always seems more dangerous from the point of view of falling over and banging her head - which has happened occasionally.

One thing that helps a bit is to try and straighten her up when she sits down (not easy!). If I can get her to stay in a more normal position (if necessary propped up) this can help.

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
Over the last 3 weeks my mum has been tilting backwards, very rigid and can hardly walk, already had one fall backwards so tomorrow I am talking to her gp, it may be due to new anti depressants.

100 miles

Apr 16, 2015
Oddly enough my mum had this a couple of weeks ago. She would go out for a walk and start off upright, but gradually started leaning over staggering all over the place. She was also much more confused than usual.
I spoke to her gp and she was prescribed antibiotics for a suspected uti. She improved within 24 hours, but has taken over a week to return to 'normal'.
Good luck.

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
My Husband was a 'leaner'. Sometimes it was unexplained but other times it was due to constipation. If it continues please phone the GP as constipation led to a chest infection in my OH's case.

Take care

Lyn T