Leaning over when sitting

slim-jim

Sep 6, 2020
Can anyone explain why my wife with alzheimers when sitting down leans over to the right never the left slowly getting more pronounced until she is almost lying down. This as well as having a tendency to walk to the right.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
There are one or two things that can cause this.
One is (surprisingly) constipation and sorting that out can improve it.
Another reason is loss of balance in advanced dementia
It can also be due to the dementia itself (especially if there is also Parkinsons) - so called "Pisa syndrome".

Ive seen many residents in mums care home sitting in chairs with cushions on one side to help prop them up

slim-jim

Sep 6, 2020
There are one or two things that can cause this.
One is (surprisingly) constipation and sorting that out can improve it.
Another reason is loss of balance in advanced dementia
It can also be due to the dementia itself (especially if there is also Parkinsons) - so called "Pisa syndrome".

Ive seen many residents in mums care home sitting in chairs with cushions on one side to help prop them up

slim-jim

Sep 6, 2020
Thank you for your comment and from what you say the loss of balance would be my guess as standing straight is very difficult. After a short walk which is always very slow and assisted my wife would just fall over forward if I wasn't there to stop her.

SalsaKate

May 17, 2021
My Mum was exactly the same, didn’t matter how many cushions we put there she would lean right over. She is now confined to bed and if we leave her sitting slightly upright she will start leaning, so we have moved the grab handle on the bed to stop her falling out .