1. Expert Q&A: Protecting a person with dementia from financial abuse - Weds 26 June, 3:30-4:30 pm

Financial abuse can have serious consequences for a person with dementia. Find out how to protect a person with dementia from financial abuse.

Sam, our Knowledge Officer (Legal and Welfare Rights) is our expert on this topic. She will be here to answer your questions on Wednesday 26 June between 3:30 - 4:30 pm.

You can either post questions >here< or email them to us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and we'll answer as many as we can on the day.

Law Society re: financial abuse

Discussion in 'Legal and financial issues' started by Norfolkgirl, Jan 11, 2015.

1. jaymor

jaymor Volunteer Moderator

Jul 14, 2006
    Female
    England
    Thanks for that link, as you say a very interesting read and very useful for members of TP.

2. Chemmy

Chemmy Registered User

Nov 7, 2011
    Yorkshire
    That's a useful reference document, Norfolkgirl. Easy to read and from an impeccable source.

I've tagged it 'law society' and 'financial abuse' so we can find it again.

3. LYN T

LYN T Registered User

Aug 30, 2012
    Brixham Devon
    Thanks for doing the tagging Chemmy. And thanks to Norfolkgirl. Indeed a very good document for everyone to read. Thank you

4. WILLIAMR

WILLIAMR Account Closed

Apr 12, 2014
    This is interesting but I still think it is too easy to get accused of financial abuse.
    I was speaking to a roofer about 2 years ago and an elderly lady wanted him to put a new roof on her bungalow.
    He looked it and he said it only needed about £400 worth of repairs and he could not see the sense in replacing the roof.
    The bungalow was only about 20 years old.
    In the end he managed to speak to the offspring and they said go ahead and replace it if that is what the mother wanted.
    In my opinion that roofer did take reasonable steps to prevent him being accused of trying to sell a vulnerable lady unnecessary work but some people might not agree.

William

5. Chemmy

Chemmy Registered User

Nov 7, 2011
    Yorkshire
    #6 Chemmy, Jan 11, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2015
    I can't see why anyone would see those circumstances as financial abuse. In fact, the following section taken from the Law Society guidelines shows that the family reacted correctly too:

It may not have been the wisest decision to replace the roof, but at least the family respected her right to decide how to spend her own money.

6. WILLIAMR

WILLIAMR Account Closed

Apr 12, 2014
    Hi Chemmy

I would agree if the facts are not disputed then the roofer would be ok.
    I would imagine the facts would be disputed in a lot of these types of cases.

William