Latonoprost Eye Drops

dannyem

Mar 31, 2015
I have a problem with Mom remembering to put these drops in daily - she needs them for glaucoma. She has said now on about four ocassions that she has lost them - of course they are never far away but I m guessing this means she doesnt remember doing them. We are heading towards carers going in daily (arranged yesterday) but if the eye drops arent to hand how does this work - I cant trust mom not to move them or put them somewhere and forget.

My solution is for me to go every evening and put them in but cant see that being sustainable long term, especially if Im away on holiday etc.

chris53

Nov 9, 2009
London
Hi dannyem, things like this can be such a worry..however have a word with mums GP and they may be able to arrange for a district nurse to do this for your mum...or your chemist may be able to advise, I don't think carers are allowed to put drops in the eyes?(sorry maybe wrong on this) for any medications that mum may move you can get a lockable medication box which can wall mounted and the key for this can be put into her keysafe, we had to do this for mum in law as everything went walkabouts! her eye drops can be kept in there, and can be stored up to 25c for upto 6 weeks.
Hope this may help you
Take care
Chris x

Dunkers58

Nov 9, 2013
Hampshire
hello there. it is worrying for you, the carers probably cannot do the drops, but if your mum is able to do them, the carer can prompt ( hopefully Mum will agree!). You could arrange for the drops to be locked away and carers get them out when they go. As has said before have a word with GP. best wishes

daisydi

Feb 25, 2015
Norfolk
My mum has these eye drops. They should be kept in the fridge and we had carers prompting mum to put them in in the mornings. As long as it is written on the care plan there should be no problem.

MissDiane

Oct 18, 2013
My mum has these, and the carer's put them in for her each evening. It's in her care plan. I understand some carer's will do it, and some won't, but if your didn't contact GP and ask for District Nurse to do them as they are a medicine. All the carer's we have had had no problem putting them in for mum. We keep them in the fridge. You could ask GP for an extra prescription just in case they go missing, so you could get them easily from the chemist.