Latest update from the Care Home

iworry

Nov 4, 2013
I recently posted how shocked I was when I saw Mum (~2 weeks into her move to a Care Home) - malnourished and delirious. I was reassured by the feedback that it's not unusual due to the massive upheaval and change.

Today we received a call from the home saying mum has become uncontrollable. Banging her head on doors and windows and hitting carers and other residents.

The other residents on her wing are refusing to come out of their rooms..

The home couldn't get external help until tomorrow when (I think) a 'mental nurse??' is going to visit.

I strongly suspect mum maybe admitted to hospital and naturally worrying what the hell they are going to do except to heavily medicate her.

I'm not really sure where this is going but needed to unload onto the forum.

cragmaid

Oct 18, 2010
North East England
If Mum is sectioned.....and that is by no means as bad a thing as you might expect, then she will be given a chance to get some real support and some medication to make her life a lot less troubled. No that does not mean she will be chemically coshed, but if could be a deep seated infection that is causing this disturbance, and of course some sedation will give her body a chance to lose the build up of adrenaline.

Her daily needs will be reassessed too and there may be more support for Mum to come out of this.
Good Luck.

PollyP.

Oct 8, 2009
Herefordshire UK
Hi iworry,

It's such a traumatic time for not just your Mum but for you as well.

My Mum has been in a really lovely care home for 3 years now, but she has had spells of trying to get out, bashing things against the wall and pushing the carers.

The Home seem to have got it sorted out now with the help of the Mental Health team and a few tweaks to Mum's medication. I do hope that the results will be the same for you and your poor old mum, she is probably very frightened and lost at the moment, but I'm sure it will get sorted out soon - Remember your Mum needs you to "fight" for her, make sure that you keep yourself well informed of the actions being taken.

Please let us know how you get on.

((Hugs))

Pauline

Lindy50

Dec 11, 2013
Cotswolds
Hello iworry :)

I'd be beside myself in your circumstances. However.....objectively I know that it will be a good thing to get the mental health services involved with your mum's care. Cragmaid puts it all very well. Your mum needs further assessment and support and it sounds as though she'll get it soon.

She may need some medication but they will strive to get a balance where she feels less agitated and is able to relax, while at the same time being alert.

I hope it goes well tomorrow.

Sending you (((hugs)))

Lindy xx

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
You must be so worried about your mum.
I sincerely hope that the mental health nurse/doctor sees your mum today.

It may be that mum has an infection , so I hope they have checked her out for a UTI or chest infection.

I agree with Lindy50, they will strive to get a balance with medication to calm her

When you feel up to it please let us know how mum and yourself are, or come and have a rant if you feel the need.
XXX

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Andrew2024