Latest Possible Announcements

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
@Jaded'n'faded my husband still sprays wipes everything he brings in and he is a committed hand washer. I am not quite so vigilant but I still wear a mask in supermarkets and I may continue for the sake of others but I don't want be the only one in a shop wearing a mask. I don't get buses so I am okay there.

I am going on a day out with my photography group on the 19th 'Yippee' but we will be outside so it will be quite safe but we do have one anti-vaxxer in our group which is a slight worry for the rest of us. She is probably about 80 years old and truly believes it is a worldwide hoax that the governments have created to get control of people. Everyone else in the group is vaccinated but we would hate to be responsible for her catching it.

My best friends husband died suddenly last month, he had been ill for a long time but was not expected to die and it was nothing to do with covid. I went to the funeral last week and there was a lot of hugging going on, I was as guilty as any of them but I doubt there were many unvaccinated among us apart from some children who I didn't hug. Sad occasion but hugging felt right at the time.

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Dear @Duggies-girl ,

I'm sorry to hear about your friend I am forever wiping Piano keyboards and Violins during lessons and shall keep doing this for sometime.

MaNaAk

PS: I still find those that believe this is a hoax rather irritating.

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
@Duggies-girl Peer pressure might affect all of us as we would not want to be the odd one out eg wearing a mask where others aren't. But being the odd one because one doesn't catch Covid would be OK. I still spray and wipe my groceries and now do my main shop fortnightly. I have got into the rhythm of that so will continue.

As for your anti-vaxxer, it wouldn't be the responsibility of anyone in your group if she developed Covid, more a factor of age and wrong-headedness. I haven't met anyone that I know is an anti-vaxxer but my aunt, also in her 80s, is sceptical about the pandemic. Nobody she knows has died so it can't be that serious!

We do need to test the assertion that vaccination is a good, long-term solution for both personal and population health. The way to do that is to start getting back to some sort of normality with a watchful eye on what happens. I will be doing so with caution rather than just leaping in.

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
Ha! Such as the ones who wear their mask as a chin shield, with nose and mouth uncovered?
OH dear @Jaded'n'faded I just want to tell them to put it on properly. Why walk around with your nose sticking out.

There is one brighter point, perhaps the streets and carparks will become less littered with disgusting used masks and my biggest bugbear, used protective gloves and dirty masks dumped in shopping trolleys for others to clear up. Why would anyone do that.

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
OH dear @Jaded'n'faded I just want to tell them to put it on properly. Why walk around with your nose sticking out.

There is one brighter point, perhaps the streets and carparks will become less littered with disgusting used masks and my biggest bugbear, used protective gloves and dirty masks dumped in shopping trolleys for others to clear up. Why would anyone do that.
Tried that. Doesn't work.

Whilst in Home Bargains:
Me, to an oaf: Is that a chin shield?
Oaf: Huh? Y'what?
Me: Well, there's not much point wearing a mask if it doesn't cover your mouth and nose.
Oaf, still with a very blank and rather indignant look: Everyone has to wear a mask in shops.

I smiled, turned on my heel and left him to ponder.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
Tried that. Doesn't work.

Whilst in Home Bargains:
Me, to an oaf: Is that a chin shield?
Oaf: Huh? Y'what?
Me: Well, there's not much point wearing a mask if it doesn't cover your mouth and nose.
Oaf, still with a very blank and rather indignant look: Everyone has to wear a mask in shops.

I smiled, turned on my heel and left him to ponder.
do you because a food delivery driver says he doesnt have to wear one any more delivering the shopping and i wondered if that was true

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
Conversation between 2 staff at supermarket today - one wearing a mask, the other a chin support - was about a 3rd party who is not going to have the vaccine as he 'doesn't believe in them'. This in Newcastle, national Covid hotspot primarily in the large population of (currently unvaccinated) under 25s.

Kay111

Sep 19, 2019
I'll still be doing what I can to minimise risks. By the 19th July, not every age group will be doubly vaccinated. Even if people don't end up in hospital, with huge numbers of infections there's a higher chance of a new variant (which the vaccines might have no effect on).

And that's even before we know the full impact of Long Covid which I havent seen the government acknowledge, I'm guessing because people are still studying it. I know of 2 people in their 30s/40s who were healthy and then got Long Covid -one was rushed to hospital with blood clots in the lungs and is now on bloodthinners for life. The other has a long term heart issue now as a result. Poor lady has 2 young kids and really struggled for months as she recovered.

I know mental health and the economy needs to be factored in and I don't want to have restrictions forever but a more gradual, balanced reopening seems to make more sense than just picking a date and everyone for themselves. Our family's mental health was never so bad as when one of us got those blood clots in the lungs, and honestly, with infection numbers so high, if there are no rules at all, I'm much less likely to go to shops/restaurants/on public transport etc. So not great for the economy either.

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
@Duggies-girl Peer pressure might affect all of us as we would not want to be the odd one out eg wearing a mask where others aren't. But being the odd one because one doesn't catch Covid would be OK. I still spray and wipe my groceries and now do my main shop fortnightly. I have got into the rhythm of that so will continue.

As for your anti-vaxxer, it wouldn't be the responsibility of anyone in your group if she developed Covid, more a factor of age and wrong-headedness. I haven't met anyone that I know is an anti-vaxxer but my aunt, also in her 80s, is sceptical about the pandemic. Nobody she knows has died so it can't be that serious!

We do need to test the assertion that vaccination is a good, long-term solution for both personal and population health. The way to do that is to start getting back to some sort of normality with a watchful eye on what happens. I will be doing so with caution rather than just leaping in.
I like being the odd one out and when I first started wearing a mask I was pleased that everyone was looking at me.

MaNaAk